Running power over CAT5e cable

MinnMonkey

Apr 11, 2005
I am wondering if there would be any problems with running all my power to the tracks over CAT5e cable.

I am running DC, and CAT5 would really help with the cable management

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
I've seen people use Cat5 for controlling remote turnouts, not for the main power bus. It's pretty small gauge cable (24g) for handling that kind of job I think. I think 16g or 14g is usually the recommended smallest you go for the main.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Cat 5 cable should only be used for low power data, just like regular telephone cable. Not only is the wire gauge too small, but it has a tight twist and so your wire length is even longer than your cable length. You will not only have a larger voltage drop, but at higher currents, the wire will actually get hot. Not a good idea to use for power.

JR&Son

Dec 26, 2006
Near the NCVA RR
If you are talking about a small 4X8 layout or something simular, I would give it a try by pairing or even quadrupling the "running" leads. Cat 5 has 8 wires, that would give you 4 negatives and 4 positives, Im guessing several amps worth. NOT ideal for a huge layout, but should work fine something smaller. Im using 22 gauge every six feet, all of them tied to an 18 guage wire near the center of the layout, measuring with a DVOM im not seeing more than a 1/10 of a volt difference anywhere on the lay out. phase 2 is 4 x 8, phase 1 is 3 x 6 and is wired the same way, phase 3 is 2 x 8 and is also wired the same way.

Dont wire from Cat 5 to Cat 5
14, 16, or 18 to Cat 5
Then do it again

JR&SON

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
On the whole, I'd say there are much better choices. Even something like doorbell wire would be an improvement.

Jeff