Running analog loco with Digitrax Empire Builder

Discussion in 'DCC & Electronics' started by cpr_boy, Nov 19, 2005.

1. cpr_boy

cpr_boy Member

I got a used Empire Builder with a DT100 controller on ebay. I set it up on a test piece of sectional track according to the instructions/manual that came with the system.

I'm having problems running an analog locomotive using the address "00". The locomotive sits there buzzing away on the track. I can't seem to dial up the speed control using address 00, but with other addresses I can. I followed the set up instructions on how to run an analog loco but nothing seems to work.

I just want to know if I have to do something else to run a non-DCC locomotive. Should I just get a decoder put in and then test it then?

Since the locomotive was buzzing on the track, and all the lights on the booster were on, I assume the system is working. I hope I didn't get a ebay-dud!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. seanm

seanm Member

IF I recall correctly, only the right throttle on the dt100 can run an analog on address 00... or was it the left?... or
  3. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Eventually, you should get a decoder and run it "digitally". Running non-decoder equipped engines is very hard on the motor of said engine, and it will take a toll in the long run. However, you should be able to do it for the short term.

On my Digitrax Zephyr, I just call up address 00. As Sean noted above, there my be some restriction on how you can use the Empire Builder - when in doubt, check the manual! ;)

4. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Daryl, You might want to ask on the Digitrax users Yahoo group, here:
    There are a bunch of digital "switches" in the command station you program with the throttle, one of them disable analog operation. Should be in the manual. Good luck.
    BTW, both throttles on the DT100 can operate analog.

5. cpr_boy

cpr_boy Member

Thank you everyone. I got it to work now. Apparently address 00 was in consist mode and I reset the command station to the factory setting. This seemed to work.

I do plan on running loco's with decoders. I was just testing to see if the system was working since I bought it used. The digitrax user group on Yahoo was very helpful