run time sucks

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by ericmcgehee, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ericmcgehee

ericmcgehee Member

i bought two 2100 battery packs off batteryspace.com. i put them in my truck, and can only get about 5 minutes of run time. i have the 17 turn speed gems2 motor. should i be getting more time off those batteries? also, i still have the crappy msc in it, will i get better run time with a esc?
  2. Batman

Batman Member

HEY MAN WELL IF THEY ARE NICD LET THEM RUN DOWN TILL THE BATTARY IS COMPLETLY OUT BECAUSE THEY HAVE A MECHINISM TO WHERE IF THEY ARE NOT RUN DOWN ALL THE WAY IT WILL THINK THAT THE BATTARY IS ALL THE WAY DEAD WHEN YOU CHARGE IT AND WILL ONLY LET YOU RUN IT AS MUCH AS WAS LEFT ON THE BATTARY BUT STILL SAYING THAT IT IS FULLY CHARGED. THE OTHER THING THAT YOU SHOULD DO IS GET A 3000 NIMH BECAUSE THE NIMH DOESNT HAVE THE MECHANISM THAT TELLS HOW MUCH IS LEFT SO IF IT IS HALF DEAD YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE CHARGER AND IT WILL STILL FULLY CHARGE. ALSO THE GOOD THING ABOUT THE BATTARY IS THAT IT HAS A MUCH LONGER RUN TIME, FASTER, AND IS BETTER FOR YOUR CAR.
  3. mastmec

mastmec Member

Those type of batteries are not preped for real R/C, they are mainly for the cars you would get at Radio Shack or Walmart, they don't pull many amps. Your 17t pulls a lot of amps and will drain those pretty quick. Also check your gearing, if your too high it will cause low run times.
    The MSC will also cause low run times, it's not very effeciant.
  4. Batman

Batman Member

hey man that is not true dont tell him stuff that is not true the make those batteries more expensive because they are better for the car and they do put out more. my father is an electrical engineer and he has taught me all i know about stuff like that. he said that those batteries are beter and the 300 means on how much it puts out and that is way more that the 2100
  5. Batman

Batman Member

typo 3000 is more than 2100 by a massive amount
  6. mastmec

mastmec Member

Hey man,:) I was refering to the 2100 batteries from batteryspace.com, not to what you said, but what eric asked. And by the way, NiCD batteries do not have a MECHANISM in them, that would mean they are mechanical. They will addapt a memory to how they are charged/discharged and perform in that manner. And how are NiMH batteries better for your car?
  7. mastmec

mastmec Member

And NiMH batteries will usually not make your car faster unless they are team batteries that have been zapped for lower IR. Most NiMH batteries has a lower voltage than NiCD.
  8. Batman

Batman Member

Ohh I see sorry I thought something else obviouslly lol
  9. Robin

Robin Member

I think that what batman means is that when you buy a new battery, you have to charge it, and the runtime will suck because it is brand new. After you run it for the first time and charge it again you will get a longer run time because it has been broken in. The same thing happened to me.
  10. timrock

timrock Active Member

run time depends on alot more than has been mentioned so far.bearings will increase run time.gearing,the way you drive it...things like the pinion being too closly meshed with the spur causeing resistance..even cheap connectoers can cause inefficient running.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.