RS 1

interurban

Thanks for that pic Dan, and the info I am learning more every day;)

Peter Have you any photo`s of your RS 1s?:)
Would love to see them.

interurban

Hey Hey Hey

Very nice Pete:) :) :) don`t they look Good together.

Jon train world said the 29.99 are S1 not RS 1.
I wil check them out again.

carshot

Hi,
The Santa Fe Alco is an Atlas RSD 4/5. Your original question concerns the RS-1. Atlas has produced numerous runs of this locomotive over the past decade or so. Along with the obvious physical differences, they differ mechanically from the RS-3's and 4/5's in that the frame on the RS-1 is cast metal. Consequently this locomotive is a much better runner and will pull more than a similar 3 or 4/5. That's not to say that the 3, 4/5's are poor locomotives, quite the contrary, all these drives were Kato designed and all perform exceptionally well.
I have seven of the RS-1's from various past runs and they all run like a swiss watch. The more miles you put on them the better they run.
Atlas is supposed to be doing yet another upgrade on this locomotive soon with separate grabs and decoder equipped.
I also have two Kato RS-2's and these are the finest running engines I own. They are a bit difficult to disassemble compared to Atlas RS's but once you learn the secret to getting the shell off, I called Kato direct, they too are simple to perform maintenance on. You won't be dissappointed with any of the Atlas RS's and Kato RS-2.
Life Like has announced a P-2000 RS-2 soon so the choices are many and all fine locomotives.
Regards
Don

Here is an HO RS-1 by Atlas. It was custom painted and decaled for my home town railroad.

Greg Elems

Attachments

• 1-ts 746.jpg
    1-ts 746.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 106
It isn't a true RS-3. Notice the two exhaust stacks on the long hood? It has an EMD prime mover in the place of the Alco. The prime mover came from a retired E unit. Off hand, I don't remember what the M stands for, but it is a rebuilt unit. It should sound like a GP7 when it runs.

Greg Elems

Pooh Bah
M

"m" often stands for "modified". Sometimes "modified but not upgraded" :confused: like having the prime mover replaced with one of the same (nominal) output.

CCT70

I have one of the Atlas RS-1's that I started painting as Central California Traction 80, which is what the prototype to Greg's model became. I have the frame and trucks done, but it's been shelved for the past 3 years. I need to get back after it. I've been running it on the layout in half primer, lol, but it runs SWEEEEEEET!

Here's what it looked like on the CCT.

Attachments

• cct80dc.jpg
    cct80dc.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 100
Did you ever get to see the CCT RS-1 run? I missed getting up there myself. I was neat sounding when it was on the Tidewater Southern. Really could scoot along.

Greg Elems

CCT70

Hi Greg, I only recal getting to see it run twice, once in at the Roundhouse while taking Dad lunch and thought it sounded odd. WP did heavy maintenance on CCT's motors, and I remember seeing it once on the CCT as my Great Grandparents lived on Bell Ave about 3 houses down from the Oakieville trestle there. The RS-1's didn't last much past that. I'm only 27, so I didn't get to see much besides the GP7's and 18's of the CCT, but growing up with it, it's my favorite railroad of all time, even more so then the beloved Wobby. (WP guys, lol) Any other WP models Greg? I'd like to see pics to compare to mine. (Not that mine are great, but I have fun building them) :D

CCT70, we need to start a WP model thread. I will post some of mine, after they get photographed. What do you have in WP paint? I'm partial to the green F units myself.

Greg Elems

CCT70

I enjoyed it too. I loved Alco's of any kind. I never was too much into them until meeting a friend of mine who worked for the WP in the Stockton Diesel Shop and he's a certified Alco nut. Then when I worked for the Stockton Terminal & Eastern, I was hooked. I need to get some digital pictures of my WP motors, and yes, I do have a couple of green F-units (most of my WP stuff is green or in the process of getting painted green), but hopefully, this lousy scan of 709 will sugffice for a few days until I can get digitals taken. The layout looks like CHTT right now, so I'll have to clear a spot for some pics. Long live the WP!

CCT70

BTW... You oughta see the model of CCT 70 that Paul DeRouen built for me. I usually build and paint all of my own, but I've wanted a nice model of the 70 since I was 4 years old, and when Proto released their GP7's, I thought about building one, but wanted perfection, so I called on Paul. He did a hell of a job on it, and it is now the pride of my railroad.

I'll post my WP units as soon as I can get pics of them.

Tom
(Some more examples of Paul's genius)

http://cencalrails.railfan.net/eglw.html

Attachments

• cct70pwd.jpg
    cct70pwd.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 61