RR-Track Software comments

nosweat

I would appreciate any comments that users of RR-Track may have about this software: strengths, weaknesses, nice features, ease of use, etc.

Thank you for your time - it will save me mine.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Sorry that there's no response...

I can't give you an opinion on much, as I operate on a Mac, and track planning software is hard to find for this platform.

However, lots of Gauge members use Atlas RTS for simple, as well as reasonably complicated plans. My local modular club uses XTrkCAD almost exclusively. One or two Gaugers also use 3rd Plan-It - the results are quite spectacular as it has a 3-d view to help plan elevations.

I know its not the answer you are looking for, but I hope it helps...

Andrew

Dragon

If you're looking for a down-n-dirty planner that is compatible with the pre-made snap-track out there, Atlas RTS is probably the easiest. While there is still some descrepancy between what you place in the program vs. what you can do in "real life", it is the closest in telling you what track of what radius can fit a given area. It is also the cheapest way (free).

However, as far as scenery and "driving" your trains, I have begun using Auran's Trainz 2006 software to try to design my layout. This will let me build terrain, add track, buildings, rivers, etc., as well as sounds and backdrops. And once I am done, I can place any kind of loco or car (that is available in Trainz) and drive it to see how it looks/fits.
I've also recently learned how to import US Geological Service DEM maps into the terrain editor. This is a WONDERFUL way to learn how to fit a railroad to existing terrian.

nosweat

Thanks for the comments. As I begin to explore the general issue of track planning I am learning that there is a wide variety of software options. Many more than I realized.

I am now using a MacBook Pro (a Mac laptop) with an Intel Core Duo processor and Parallels software which allows me to flip (literally) between Mac OS X and Windows xp.

I have just tried using 3rd PlanIt (a windows only package) and it works fine. So far I am just working my way through the tutorial but I have created a simple oval with a couple of spurs and some very basic terrain.

I suspect that track planning software is like most things in life - what we like depends on our personal history as well as on our goals for the future.

I smile when I realize that I am going about this backwards. I began by creating the layout and now I am looking for software that can describe what I have done. The final result should be the same: a complete description and a working layout. There is more than one way to enjoy this hobby. And having a Forum to share ideas is part of this.

Thanks again.

granpa

I was able to pick up a "free" copy of "RR-Track Lite". It's an chance to check out their software basics. You can upgrade this software at a later time, if you want. For me, it is want I needed to get started. One issue I see with this software is it only uses RealTrax, from MTH, but it provides all scale lay-outs. Give it a shot,...it's free!!

The following link will get you the copy, they ask if you want a free DVD, I believe the software is on it as well. If you have problems getting one, let me know, I have a extra copy laying around here somewhere and I will mail to you.

http://www.pittsburghtrains.com/index.htm

I provided my email address to this site, without any spam coming back.

Enjoy !

cnwdon

COMMENTS RE: RR-TRACK software. I bought the full version a month ago and have since designed my large dream layout and enjoyed the process, to my surprise. You can buy it with very complete libraries of all common track types including flex track, and also dozens of toy train accessories from Lionel, MTH and Plasticville. I'm experienced with Windows business applications (Word and Outlook, especially) but not at all with CAD software. For example, I couldn't draw the first oval with 3rdPlanIt a few years back. RR-Track is very well designed to use one's Windows skills, and given that baseline I found it pretty easy to learn. If you need Windows skills, I strongly suggest you invest in one or two basic, one-day Windows courses with a computer training school in your area, the kind a business would send an employee to take. It may cost you $200 to $300 for the two courses (total), but you will be so much more able to learn, and take advantage of the excellent work done by RR-Track's creator, that I suspect you'll be glad you spent the time and money to acquire the smarts about Windows basics.