RR Merlin 45 1:33

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by joek2, Nov 25, 2007.

1. joek2

joek2 New Member

2. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Probably beyond my limited skills to build though.

3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Wow, that's impressive! Could certainly be a standalone build of its own - would be a shame to hide it inside a model!

4. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Which manufacturer makes the best early Hawker Hurricane kit? This not just a Merlin engine; it's a Hurricane-installed Merlin that is just begging for a build-up.
  5. Thanks! great find, I have the Halinski Spitfire to stick it in! will make a great model....
    Cheers, Billy
  6. BARX2

BARX2 Member

The diagrams alone are worth the download. Best I've seen.
  7. On the bottom the the buildingplan says its made for the Mark V Spitfire,but Hurricanes used the same engine, I would vote for the Halinski
    Cheers, Billy
  8. I just printed the whole thing, and I have to admit I haven't seen a model with one sheet which makes the model, and 33 sheets of instuctions before..
    @joek2; I tryed to find the source,but I don't read Polish, do you know where it came from, or who made this?
  9. joek2

joek2 New Member

10. I could end up building something like this...
    Cheers, Billy

Attached Files:

11. dansls1

dansls1 Member

12. hmas

hmas Member

Now I'm going to have to build 16 of them, 4 engined :curse: Lancasters!
  13. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

Haven't had timto explore all this site yet. Anyone what all the models are?
  14. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

My wife has the patience of Job. She hasn't divorced me yet no matter how many kits I purchase.
    No sooner did I ask the question about which was the best Hurri, then I found the Halinski kit at PMI and it's in my (longgggggggg) que to build.
  15. dansls1

dansls1 Member

He's done a Hindenburg, the entrance to a fortification for a diorama or wargaming usage, the DB601, the merlin and is working on a Hood, although right now I think he just has the formers up.
  16. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Damn !! If I'd have found this a few months ago it would have been my free model comp entry. Oh well, maybe next onthe list after the Dreadnought is finished.......

RG WILLIAMS New Member

Anyone who can build that model has incredible model building skills.
  18. sakrison

sakrison Member

I'm building this one for the EAA Museum's Paper Models Exhibit. The scale is 1:16.5 (200% of the original). Even at that scale, the detail is impressive. I can't really imagine building this in 1/33!

A weekend and a few nights' work produced the engine mount, firewall, and stand. I used Evergreen plastic rod for the main tubes on the mount and copper wire for the lines. I mixed my green paint a little at a time to get a varied and worn look. The back of the firewall is a copy of the front, Photoshopped to remove most of the detail.

I'm very impressed with this kit! I need to finish the engine by July 11--the next IPMS meet in Milwaukee.

I've uploaded the placard in case anyone else wants to build this as a stand-alone. It should make a beautiful desktop model.

Now, If I want to be really crazy, I could enlarge the Halinski Spit cockpit to 1:16.5 and add that to the back of the firewall.

I'm not sure I'm that crazy. But it's possible.

No worries,

Attached Files:

19. sakrison

sakrison Member

Next time I'll check my spelling before uploading.
    New placard under construction. Good grief!
  20. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Sakrison, be crazy; be insane; be the builder of the 1/16 scale cockpit to tack onto the engine. It would make for a fantastic display model! Nobody has ever done it like that. Your's would be a first in any medium!

Your build of the firewall and engine supports is incredible. It would easily stand up to anything in plastic or resin! Very inspiring to be sure.