RPC River Patrol Craft

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Thanks guys!:wave:

I just found some more reference materials so maybe I can fix some of my questionable areas.............. boy there really is not much at all on these boats. I guess folks don't want to be reminded of failures.......:p

More to come...................

john

Unbelievable!!
That's a very beautiful boat. I think brown-water Navy is an obscure subject and your model brings some light into the topic.

As a scratchbuilding-beginner, I can't help to be amazed at your craftsmanship. Can you comment further on techniques, tools and give me some generic advice regarding your build?. For example, Hull construction?.
Thanks in advance.
Rafa

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Thanks Rafa....................... but you might want someone else like barry to give you some tips. (look at his USS Tarawa design and build thread)

This is my first design, heck my first build of a boat, so I probably have some very unorthodox ways:eek:ops:

Because this is a relatively small model, and because I could not find any cross sections, I have had to improvise. I have made my main hull one piece and it pretty much holds it's shape by how it's glued together.

I have a main former (out of cardboard) running down the middle (keel) and this is attached to the main deck which is also made from cardboard. These are glued and braced up to form a solid base to glue the main hull, bow and stern, and everything else to.

That is to say this design doesn't have the cut out pre-shaped cross forms that make up the skeleton of most of the ship models I have seen built here.

I will show more as I am able to get everything finalized.

Finally all I can say is just try anything............. this was cobbled together using BLENDER, trial and error, hand drawing, pattern making......... whatever I could do/use to get what I wanted. That doesn't mean it is incorrect or not to scale, but just that it was fun to do! And That is all that matters!:thumb:

john

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Oh.......... I forgot to mention THE Most important thing............... this site and these guys are some of the best references, teachers, and just all-around helpers you could ever need.

No Way could I ever have done this without the help I got from here! Believe me when I say this is one of the best assets a modeler could ever have stumbled upon.

:thumb:ASK for help and you shall be rewarded........... I was!:thumb:

john

John:

Excellent design and an interesting subject!

Back in the '70s (late Paleolithic), while at the University of Manitoba, Canada, I belonged to a group known as The Popular Front for the Liberation of the Northwest Angle.(The little piece of Minnesota that sticks up above the 49th parallel) We never blew up anything (although we had a pirate SW radio station called Free Angle Radio that actually got heard in Europe......)

This is the type of boat I can envision the Anglies using on Lake of the Woods!

When it is finished, I will buy one, and convert it to a Free Angle patrol boat!!

Nice work!

Jim

"Freedom for the Angle: NOW!!"

RogerP

Aug 13, 2006
Bendigo, Victoria, Australia.
Brown Water Navy in Card

Greetings from OZ,

It looks like I need to extend my modelling interest which is 'Allied Light Coastal Forces 1914-45' to cover the Vietnam era. This is a very interesting model indeed and I congratulate you on delving into a modelling subject which has been largely overlooked.

I look forward to it's commercial release date and whatever your future plans behold.

Cheers,
Roger Pearson.
Bendigo, Australia.

alaimo@jcu.edu

I need a Pin up girl. . .
Apr 18, 2007
Bowdenja vbmenu_register("postmenu_734025", true);
I was just thinking about this build last night. . .I was wondering if anyone had motorized/waterproofed one of the ship models. I may ask this question in another thread,..but anyways i was figuring that this model would be great for RC/waterproofing etc. So, I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN OBTAINING a model. What would the cost be? I would definitely like it in either "new colors" or realistically weathered...FYI.

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Hey! Thanks again guys!:wave:

OK............. price....... this one will be free. :thumb: The rest will have a small fee attatched:eek:ops: Still have to finished the details of instructions, part layout, you know small stuff wall1. AND I'm not going to weather it too much, there really is not a lot to go on............. and these really were unsuccessful and did stay around in use long.

Hint on the next one in the series................... It's captain was a Congressonal Medal of Honor winner................ no telling Jim Nunn!

R/C paper boats.............. :cry:sorry man that has already been done.

I can't remember the guys name, but he was from Japan, if I remember correctly, and he did a Russian pre Dreadnought Battleship, and also designed and built one HECK of a fantastic LCAC Hover craft that he R/C'ed and it was freaking amazing. He did a video of it going and that thing could move!

I'm sure some of the older guys will remember and post his name and maybe even a link to the vid................

alaimo@jcu.edu

Apr 18, 2007
Cool! Looking forward to the models and if anyone remebrs the links/vids etc. If I build yours with RC and waterproofing, I will give you first look!...:)

R

rickstef

Yuki did this

he had the russian version of the LCAC flying across water, and concrete

Rick

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Thanks Rick............... I thought that was Yuki, but since I just messed up an email..............I didn't want to stick both feet in at the same time:eek:ops:

Bad enough I forgot it was a Russian hover craft:p

john

alaimo@jcu.edu

Apr 18, 2007
WOW! Thanks guys the link is http://forum.zealot.com/t138188/ it would be a great revist if you haven't done so.
Bowdenja
What yuki did with the hovercraft, might be fun to do to your brown water navy, I think I will try that when it is available...cool stuff!

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
OH......... I forgot to mention that it could also turn on a dime.........here's a better hint:thumb:

pbr-mk2.jpg