roundhouse question

cedarcreekrr

I am working on my first structure a 15 stall roundhouse and would like to know if I should use lights inside. If I use lights what kind would you suggest. I'll have some pictures of my progress tommorrow.

hooknlad

nice, i cant wait to see it. id use the small wheat grain lites somewhere in the middle of the round house. id drken all the walls and celing so they are not translucent. id also inclusesome type of welding flash in there as well... my 2 cents...

Russ Bellinis

I don't think a round house would appear to be lit up like a christmas tree. I would use small grain of wheat or grain of rice bulbs, and I would power them with variable dc and adjust the level of light until it looks good to you.

cedarcreekrr

progress pictures

I will look into the small lights thanks for the tip.

Attachments

• rh6.jpg
    rh6.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 140
  • rh5.jpg
    rh5.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 135
  • rh3.jpg
    rh3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 135
  • rh2.jpg
    rh2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 131

steamhead

WOW...!!! I expected to see a 5-6 stall roundhouse. You've gone overboard...!!! That's a great job. What is the framing made of? I've got a smaller r'house in my future, so any pointers would help.
And, yes. I would put lighting inside-controlled by a dimmer as was mentioned before. I've got lights in all my structures and makes for very interesting "night" operations.

Keep the pics coming.:thumb:

cedarcreekrr

It is a kit from heljen, I wound up with extra windows because they use the same set no matter what the kit add on or stand alone. This is one stand alone and four add on kits. I plan on using this as the cornerstone of my layout. As I complete each phase I will send pictures.

N

nachoman

you are gonna need a nice fleet of locos to fill all those stalls.

kevin

cedarcreekrr

I need 11 more. I have to convince my wife I really need them. I am trying to have my service terminal layout like the city I live in was like in the 30's to 50's. I choose not to do the 1900's because they had a 32 stall roundhouse then.

nkp174

Do you have any plans to add some outdoor tracks? A combination of lighting the engine house and having outdoor tracks maximizes your ability to not only display your structure, but also your displaying your motive power fleet.

I'd also look into creating some optical illusions by not filling the enginehouse, but placing just enough locomotives at the ride places to make it seem full.

coaster

I think lights will make a great addition to that structure, Michael -- in fact, I think the darn thing practically cries out for them! -- but I'd reiterate the importance of what hooknlad's already mentioned about darkening (really painting) the interior walls. That, and make doubly sure you don't have any gaps in wall joints or between walls and roofing. Light seeping out through the cracks (or glowing through the plastic walls) will wreck any hopes for heightened realism! Great job so far, by the way!

-- Paul

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
The only drawback to darkening the interior walls is that in fact many roundhouses were whitewashed inside to improve lighting. At least the upper walls and ceiling were white (for as long as it lasted); the walls below about 5 feet were often dark to keep appearances neat.

If you do end up with cracks or joints not quite right, you can fill them with putty. If it's a place that cannot be seen from outside, tinfoil is light-proof... :)

Andrew

coaster

Good point regarding the whitewashed interiors (although this practice depended upon individual railroads' procedures). In any event, whether one darkens the interior walls or paints them white, the result (and purpose) is the same: to keep the lights from glowing through the "brick" walls and showing them up as plastic.

Regards,
Paul

cedarcreekrr

Thanks For The Tip On Painting The Inside So Light Would Not Show Through, I Just Got Some Lights Yesterday But They Did Not Have Enough So I Will Wait To Finish The Lighting. But I Have Some Painting To Do. I Also Took The Suggestion On A Welding Flash I Can't Wait To See If It Works.

coaster

cedarcreekrr said:
I am working on my first structure . . .
For some reason, this part of your original message just registered with me. Your . . . first . . . structure . . . now let me just make sure what you're saying here: That's first, f-i-r-s-t, as in numero uno, as in "gee, I've never done this before . . ." and so you decide to build a 15-stall roundhouse? And you've already got it to this point? And it's looking that good?

I think you may have a future in this hobby, son . . .
:thumb:

Admiringly,
Paul

cedarcreekrr

Yes, but I am and Industrial Arts teacher by trade so this hobby fits my interest. It has has everything construction, eletricity, model building and you get to run the trains when you get finished with the other stuff.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
cedarcreekrr said:
It has has everything construction, eletricity, model building and you get to run the trains when you get finished with the other stuff.

That has to be one of the better summaries of why model railroading is such a great hobby! :thumb: Terrific looking roundhouse! Looking forward to updates.
Ralph