Roundhouse 2-6-0

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Les, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Les

Les New Member

Hi; I have a Roundhouse 'Old Timer' 2-6-0 mogul and for some reason it will not run over the tracks properly. I don't have a problem with my diesel loco's but this steam engine seems to stop and start on the track; sometimes not starting, sometimes starting then stopping. I did put one of those Trix wheel cleaners on the track then place the loco on to it and it went great. but put it back on the track proper and problems. Would appreciate any help in getting this item working properly as it is a decent unit.
  2. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Your track might be dirty. Since your diesels are equipped with flywheels, they just roll right over the dirty spots, without a hiccup. The Mogul, I suspect, might not be flywheel equipped, and might be stalling on the dirty track. Try cleaning the track with a Cratex, or Bright Boy and see what happens.
  3. Les

Les New Member

I have just checked the wheels on the tender and they do not slot into the NRMA gauge properly. How can I spread then slightly; or do I need replacements.
  4. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Usually the wheels are a push fit. You should be able to move them fairly easily.

5. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Don't worry about the gauge of the wheels if you aren't having derailments.

I'm going to guess that you have a RTR model and not a kit...for their kits were always known to give people trouble (of course, I was 11 years old when I built my last MDC kit)
  6. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

For a locomotive to run slowly and smoothly, it needs:
    • clean track
    • clean wheels where the power is picked up. Both wheels and track need to be cleaned at the same time; one will transfer dirt to the other. DCC is pickier about dirty track than DC.
    • pickups/wipers properly adjusted so that they constantly contact the wheel/axle without excessive friction
    • on steam locomotives, the connection between engine and tender needs to be secure (having this connection work loose happens)
    • all wire connections are tight and secure
    • a free-running drive train with proper gear mesh. To check a steam loco mechanism, remove motor and worm. Place on flat piece of glass and see if it rolls smoothly. Check the motor by itself, and then re-install with proper gear mesh. A thin sheet of paper should be a tight fit between the gear teeth.
    • On a DCC decoder-equipped loco and running on DCC, the decoder should be locked out from running on DC.
    • If DCC decoder-equipped, test decoder and ensure programming is correct. MRC decoders (used by Roundhouse) tend to have more problems than other decoder brands.
    The tender wheels should be re-gauged to NMRA specs in any case. If left out of gauge, sooner or later they will cause problems, most likely at turnouts.

hope this helps