Rory give us an update

eatst14

Rory, last I heard you were going to tear down the layout and you were looking for new ideas for a slightly larger layout.

Where are you in your struggle? have you decided on a trackplan? Did you actually tear down that artwork you created?

Just wanted to know

Ed

roryglasgow

I've had to put the big layout aside while I'm working on a special programming project at home.

But, I am working on a small layout for my office. This weekend I put down the bottom layer of the ground and grass. I still need to put in weeds, bushes and miscellaneous groundcover. After I finish that and get the creek and bridge done, I'm going to take it to the office and install the trees.

The table is a 24" x 28" x 3/8" thick piece of plywood. The sub-roadbed is a ceiling tile. The top of the hill in the middle is a Great Stuff hill that I salvaged from the old Copper Ridge. Trees will cover all of the hill, so those ugly angles won't be visible. The whole thing is designed to sit on top of my file cabinet.

Since my office is located in the West Hill Mall here in Huntsville, I decided to call it the West Hill Railroad.

Attachments

• west hill rr.jpg
    west hill rr.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 140

eatst14

Glad to see your still with us Rory, I miss seeing your progress pictures.

Hope you get to work on that big layout of your soon.

How much area do u have available for the future big one?

Ed

roryglasgow

Ed,

I have room for a 3' x 6' table. That is, if I can get started before I lose my space... My wife has already begun encroaching on my territory. I gave her the WHOLE house except this one little corner...and the creeping tendrils of "decoration" are starting to work their way into my hallowed train space...

But before I start on that one, I'm going to build a shelf up near the ceiling around my son's room. It's something that I've been planning on doing for a long time, and I guess I'd better get it started if it's ever going to get done. The Big Plan is to get one of those new Bachmann Thomas the Tank Engine sets. I might even do some scenery work...and model some of the sites on Thomas' branch line.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
I guess you need to sharpen your negotiating skills Rory or you may lose that corner too. Nice to see you can still run trains.