Romney,Hythe & Dymchurch UK

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
This Railway opened in 1927 stretches for 14 miles along the Kent coast in Southern England Refering to my notes it is a 15" and not a 2' gauge as I previously stated. This is the worlds smallest Public Railway, carrying goods and passengers. Rooster consists of 11 steam loco's and 2 diesels.
fe67fd4f.jpg

[This message has been edited by jimmybeersa (edited 06-12-2001).]

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
Have traveled on all of these Loco's,fortunate my Daugher lives in Kent Top Loco is named "Hercules" Middle photo is "Northern Chief" and this one is
"Typhoon"
fe67fd66.jpg

During WW2 the trains were Armoured and use to patrol the coast

[This message has been edited by jimmybeersa (edited 06-12-2001).]

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Wow now wouldn't they make a great garden railway. My daughter that lives up north of here is on 120 acres of land and could we do a great job of railroading there. I really like "Hercules". The Brits sure knew how to build them.
Thanks for the post Jimmy

------------------
Robin
NARA member #2
http://members.nbci.com/Matthyro MAT

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Jimmy,

This should open up a discussion on where a model stops and the real thing starts! Do the passengers actually FIT inside those carraiges? "but where would I put my hatbox and travelling commode??"
smile.gif

TOOT!

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
Woodie;

yes people actually commute daily on that line, not much place for luggage but not uncomfortable,think I will take another ride on it next month and get some pictures of the coaches Had A photo of that war time train but cant see to find it ,busy packing up as we have sold our house, must be packed

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
Woodie,
Lived in this house for 38 years, boy have we collected a lot of things,wanted to post a picture of my workshop and show the job I am going to have packing it up But....No more Zing ! ..what now ? My wife and I are going to follow the Sun for a while, Summer in Johanesburg (my son is having a Cottage built for us) and then summer in Georgetown
Canada with stop overs in England ,coming and going. Will hopefully wind up living in Canada all to escape the crime here in the RSA

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
Sure do, leave here 5th July, in England until the 13th and then Canaca on the 14th am going to stay with Robin Matthysen untill the 11th August Leave Canada 3rd September to come home and continue packing to be out of this house by the end of October Busy times ahead