Roman scout ship (Roman Seas, 1:250)

Status
Not open for further replies.

michik

Now to the big, big secret: How to replicate the blocks and tackles.

Now, that one is extremly simple!

First, take a piece of thread and prepare a knot.

Put one end of the thread through the hole in the knot, thus creating a loop hole.

For things like the shrouds, which should all look alike, put something of a suitable size in the loop hole (in this case a skewer). Fasten the knot. It might be helpful to secure the knot with a bit of glue.

Attachments

• rigging_01.jpg
    rigging_01.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 53
  • rigging_02.jpg
    rigging_02.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 46
  • rigging_03.jpg
    rigging_03.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 46

michik

Again, put one end of the thread through the loophole,...

...make another knot, again such that the loophole runs through the knot,...

...pull both ends of the thread, finished!

For the last bit of realism, dab some brown paint on the knots to imitate the blocks.

Attachments

• rigging_04.jpg
    rigging_04.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 39
  • rigging_05.jpg
    rigging_05.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 38
  • rigging_06.jpg
    rigging_06.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 43

michik

The prepared cordage was then glued to the model. I've attached the clewlines and buntlines to two posts besides the 12th row of thwarts. My idea is that tese posts are extended deck supports. Thus, the lines wouldn't conflict with the oarsmen and the aisle between the thwarts would be kept clear, too. But this is pure speculation of me!

Here, I did a big mistake: I fastend the thread for the clewlines and buntlines to the posts and pulled it up to the yard. Thus I applied some tension to mast and yard, and as a consequence, the shruds deformed a bit. It is much better to stiffen the thread with glue and mount pieces of a suitable length without applying force!

In the second picture you can also see the rack at the stern that holds the steering oars.

Attachments

• Triaconteris_029.jpg
    Triaconteris_029.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Triaconteris_028.jpg
    Triaconteris_028.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 41

michik

The steering oars consist of a pole, made from doubled card board, and a blade. After mounting them to the hull, I attached two handles (in my case, made from leftover bits of lasercut reeling) and painted them brown.

The oars are lasercut accessory parts from Thomas Pleiner (http://www.mtp-studio.de/oscommerce...d=99&osCsid=edd055bf8881787ff74062172a0e9bb7). I've stowed about 15 or so on the thwarts (hey, who's going to count them anyway?)

Attachments

• Triaconteris_038.jpg
    Triaconteris_038.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 30
  • Triaconteris_045.jpg
    Triaconteris_045.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 31

michik

Weeeeell, and that was it already. So here are three pictures of the finished boat.
One:

Attachments

• Triaconteris_040.jpg
    Triaconteris_040.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 116
Wow, terrific job with the rigging,michik ! You ought to send a picture of that to Eric at Roman Seas, I'll bet he'd be delighted to see what you've done with the model.

michik

Chris, Steve,
Thanks for the kind words!

Actually, Eric was the first person (except my wife) I informed, and he has already put the pictures in his gallery (http://www.romanseas.com/michael_kaintoch.html).

I've got one more picture (taken by Michael Bauer) that might be interesting:
http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/attachment.php?attachmentid=93850
It's a shot of our desk at the Oberschleissheim Model Show. The important thing is that all planes and most of the ships (except the GPM LCM3 (obvious!), the roman merchantman, and the unfinished fishing vessel between the two of them) are in the same scale. None of the other ships are really big ships, but what strikes one is that the roman scout really is tiny!

Bye!
Michi

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Michi!:)

What a superb little lady! I'm so glad you posted that last picture, for some scale reference, so we all can appreciate how really small this model actually is...and she IS small!!

Excellent job on the rigging sequence and sail, and I like you idea of using PVA soaked thread for the rigging, something I found very handy when rigging smaller scales and to avoid tension on the already fragile spars.

Quite an impressive little ship; thank you so very much for sharing photos of this project.

Maybe one more picture with a common day item for true scale? Coin? Pen?

Beautifully done!

Cheers!
Jim

michik

Nice build, Tirta!
I'm not surprised by the strong resemblence between the two ships: The Greek already had settlements on all coasts of the mediterranean when Rome was founded, and, as the leading culture then, they strongly influenced ship building for many centuries. Even today, the tradition to give a face to the ship is still alive in the mediterranean sea.

I've got the kit, too (one of my 90% unbuilt kits), and I've just checked the instructions. The rigging is the same as on my roman scout. The only difference is that my model also has clewlines and buntlines, while those are not mentioned in the Scheiber kit. However, I've found two beautyful examples of greek potery, which prove that already the old greeks used that kind of cordage:
http://www.rgzm.de/Navis2/Home/FullImageDE.cfm?ObjectCode=DE_0168&ObjectName=MannheimNeckAmphora
http://www.rgzm.de/Navis2/Home/FullImageDE.cfm?ObjectCode=DE_00166&ObjectName=ExekiasSchale

Jim:
Your wish is my command!

Attachments

• Triaconteris_048.jpg
    Triaconteris_048.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 82

Jim Krauzlis

See? Now isn't that exceptional? I have to say, that is an awesome photo...it's says it all!:grin:

I'll say it again, what a superb little lady!

Thanks for indulging my whims!:)

Cheers!
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.