Rolling Your Own...Rocket Tubes

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by wyverns4, May 11, 2006.

1. Mercsim

Mercsim Member

Great idea Tim! Those round tubes have kicked my but too! I'll have to re-try some of my classics, when we get the Capsule project wrapped up (no pun intended). Sharing is so much fun!

Scott :)
  2. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Wow! Thanks for the directions guys. And especially BARX2 for those pics. I've been really bad at the whole rolling tubes deal. I've always managed to put cracks and seams in them.

Now maybe I can work up enough courage to attempt this:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  3. BARX2

BARX2 Member

That one's on my long list, too. Got a few more I need to do before that, though. Maybe later this year or next year. I will do the Energiya-M before that one, though.
  4. George B

George B Senior Member

Rolling tubes

I've started rolling tubes for my LUT project. It requires over 122 individually rolled 1/4" tubes. I had to come up with a way to get consistent results so this is what I came up with.

I made a "master" tube having an ID equal to the OD of the needed tube. After rolling the needed tube around a dowel I applied the glue to the seam then inserted it into the master tube. I inserted the dowel again and rolled it out then removed the perfectly round tube. Works great with consistent results!
  5. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Excellent tips, guys!

Barx, that picture sequence explains how you rolled the tubes superbly!

George, your method for rolling the small diameter tubes is a wonderful idea!

What a wealth of information found in this thread.

6. check the thread "rolling tubes" I explain my method which is illustrated there. It is the Scroll method. Take a tube smaller than the diameter you want. tape a piece of paper to it, insert your tube to be and and roll up like a scroll. It will produce a perfect tube every time. Gllue a tab to the back of one side first then when it has ste for awhile when you unroll it you will have to pull it apert slightly simply slip over the tab and it will spring itself into the joint.
  7. Or you could cheat and buy lollypop stick at the craft store. they are paper and can be unrolled to the correct diameter. Just wet them to loosen the glue and unroll to the right size. cut off the excell and walla.
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That will work if you can find a lollipop stick that was rolled up and preprinted with the design of the rocket part you are rolling ;) heh heh
  9. Actually you can still take the printed part and using my "scroll method" roll it onto the lollypop stick.
  10. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I added links to my pictures that were lost in the move.
  11. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

HI all.

I like Tim Hinds' method - I'll try it soon. For what it's worth, here's a method I've found works fairly well for all kinds of card tubes.
    Find a THIN piece of foam - like a mouse mat, but thinner and firmer if possible. Cut out the part for the tube and lay it face down on the foam. The next step can be either to use a round smooth roller like a pencil, piece of dowel or similar, and roll it over the card carefully - making sure the roller is parallel with the card edge. Alternatively, drag the edge of a metal rule carefully over the card, again making sure to go exactly in the direction of the roll.
    This results in a piece of card that will easily roll without kinks or folds into the tube as required. I found this works pretty well if you're using formers, which I always make with a circle-cutter even if the kit doesn't include them.

Still, I think Tim's idea is actually better.....

12. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

Incidentally, here's a photo of two models I made using the above method to roll the tubes
  13. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

Er.... that didn't work... Sorry.
  14. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Just copy and past the entire line listed as 'BB Code' when looking at the image in the gallery. Or you can use the 'Attachment' option to upload directly while posting.
  15. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

Thanks. I'll get it right in future.
  16. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Oh - and nice looking rockets ;)
  17. dwfunk4475

dwfunk4475 New Member

Great thread! I'm in need of a more to scale size and the stuff hanging on the hobby shop wall isn't close enough.

18. obwand10

obwand10 New Member

i use a dowel
  19. Funtime Cthulhu

Funtime Cthulhu New Member

Nullmoon's idea has worked best for me. The grain of the paper makes a big difference.

I tried 3 seperate tube roll attempts for the T. Johnsons Atlas-Centaur. All ended up badly creased and crinkled. I rotated the image 90 degrees and printed it again. That tube rolled flawlessly.

Hope this helps..