Rolling Stock

jimnrose

Feb 1, 2001
Orleans Ma. USA
Visit site
Does anyone have experience with Mantua freight cars?
Also are there recommended brands?
While I'm at it, I like the "old time" coaches, but where they still in use in the 1940 - 1950 time frame?
Thanks, Jim

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Yes,I used some mantua back in the 60's and had no problem with them. I recommend using the athearn and model die casting cars(round house}. As far has your old time passinger cars cars,you could used them on a mixed freight or you could use them in maintenance work trains. If you are modeling the 40s-50s both athearn and mdc makes cars for that era.I hope this helps you

jimnrose

Feb 1, 2001
Orleans Ma. USA
Visit site
Thanks for your help. The Mantua cars are on sale but I understand the current cars are similar in quality to IHC and the IHC sale items are a better buy so I'll pass on the Mantua cars.

I'll pick up the Roundhouse coach cars; thanks for the input.
Take care, Jim

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Many RR's used wooden coaches on branch locals well into the 1950's. I think this was particlarly true in the South, where declining passenger revenues made the old coaches the only thing available on the rural branch lines.

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Regardless of price, you may want to snag a set of the Mantua cars now while you can. More "STUFF" bound to become collector's items.

Mantua is going Kaput, and their cars will go the way of the Varney equipment, down that great siding to oblivion.

I'm glad I kept the Varney pieces I have.:)

C

Catt

Back somewheres around 1980 when K-Mart decided to stop selling train stuff at Christmas time I bought 36 of these Tyco hoppers at $1.00 piece.:D

mtshop1.jpg

Over the years I added KATO trucks and KADEE couplers repainted and decaled them.This one is done for Michigan Transportation Services(MTS) a freelanced division of my GVR.

Tyco of course is no longer in the train business but IHC still produces these cars at very reasonable prices.