Rolling Stock!

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
I just got some rolling stock from Trainworm:thumb: and Ebay:) . I got the best deal from Trainworm:thumb: :thumb: , 20 assorted cars and he threw in a Kato Sd45:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: !!!!! Looks like the Kato has some assembly required (what are you supposed to do with all them tiny partshamr ????)sign1 .

Spent the afternoon checking out cars, changing couples and just having a good time! When I get a magnifying glass I will put the detail parts on the Kato:D .

I now have enough rolling stock for a decent layout:thumb: ...maybe I should start buying trackjawdrop .

Rick

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
oldtanker said:
I just got some rolling stock from Trainworm:thumb: and Ebay:) . I got the best deal from Trainworm:thumb: :thumb: , 20 assorted cars and he threw in a Kato Sd45:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: !!!!! Looks like the Kato has some assembly required (what are you supposed to do with all them tiny partshamr ????)sign1 .

Spent the afternoon checking out cars, changing couples and just having a good time! When I get a magnifying glass I will put the detail parts on the Kato:D .

I now have enough rolling stock for a decent layout:thumb: ...maybe I should start buying trackjawdrop .

Rick

If you are like me, you just don't have enough rolling stock until you have enough cars that if coupled up end to end they would fill a space twice as big as your layout space!! When it comes to locomotives, you would be fine if the manufacturers would just quit coming out with new ones you just have to have whether they fit on your layout or not! Anyway, get some track and have fun with it.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
shaygetz said:
Rick, I have 145 cars and 40 locomotives. Track? About 45 total feet in HO, 21 feet in N. Dude, I need help:D

Yes you do!sign1

Rick,I just bought a couple NP Covered Hoppers from Carr's,a Atlas NP 3-Bay Centerflow and a Walthers Gold NP 50' Airslide.It cost about $38 for both,but I think they're worth it.I also bought a Genesis 60' UP Gunderson BC from Hobbytown,that cost $25,but the detail is amazing!

I know what you mean about Kato,I have a BN SD70Mac and all the small details look daunting to me,so much so I'm not sure I'm even going to try to put them on.sign1

Chris

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Now you guys know why I said "I put a self imposed moratorium on the purchase of anymore rolling stock". I have double the problem since I model both HO and On30. Sure would like one of those Bachmann 2-8-0's in On30 and then theres the new Forney and on and on. Help me!!!:cry:

May 12, 2006
Pacific Northwest
For the people with the Kato's: I bought a Kato NS SD80MAC, and I thought the detail part would be real hard to put it. NOT AT ALL!!! Just find a nice pair of fine tipped needle nose pilers and go to work! The only things that needed glue on the SD80 was the nose step ladders, but other then that, everything else fit fiine! It is actually really fun to do, and SO rewarding! The SD80 looks AWESOME now!!!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
oldtanker said:
Wildcat, "fun"????? "Rewarding"????? I started adding the details I'd say frustrating!hamr

Rick

It is probably the difference between some of these young-uns with good eyesight and us old guys who should really be modeling in large scale, but don't have room for anything bigger than ho!

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Russ Bellinis said:
It is probably the difference between some of these young-uns with good eyesight and us old guys who should really be modeling in large scale, but don't have room for anything bigger than ho!

Exactly,my eyes are not nearly as good as they were 15 years ago and my hands don't like to do what I want them to do sometimes.

"fun"????? "Rewarding"?????

More like Frustrating & lucky.... if you happen to not break or lose something!sign1

Chris

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
OK got the detail added except for one wiper that I lost and the missing horn.:cry:

Picture075.jpg

Picture076.jpg

Frustratingwall1 is the only word I can use here although my language was a bit more colorful while I was working on it.jawdrop

Chris now ya gotta do yours.......sign1 sign1 sign1

Rick

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Chris now ya gotta do yours.......sign1 sign1 sign1

Rick[/quote]

Well,I've been trying to psych myself out to give it a try,but I don't know....

It's like jumping into a cold lake in July,you know you want to,but you're not sure it's worth it!sign1

Nice engine by the way,I've seen my share of WC trains because my Grandparents lived in North central Wisconsin.Also we used to go camping in a small town called Solon Springs,they had a dual mainline running right down the center of town with the highway running on either side of the tracks and we'd see them running qutie a bit.I believe,and I'm not 100% sure,that the SOO used them also.I seem to remeber seeing them on those tracks.

Chris

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Chris, if I can do it with my extra large hands and poor eyes you can too!

Actually I think it was worth the effort. I worked on it off and on for most of the day.

Rick

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
oldtanker said:
Chris, if I can do it with my extra large hands and poor eyes you can too!

Actually I think it was worth the effort. I worked on it off and on for most of the day.

Rick

I'll give it a try,I just wish the instructions were better.I don't like the ones that come with the engine,I think a step by step would be better then a couple overviews of the engine with arrows pointing to where parts should go.Plus some of the sprues aren't even #ed so I'll have to guess on some things.

I also wrote Kato because some of the grabirons came broken,hopefully they'll send new ones.

Chris

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
CRed said:
I'll give it a try,I just wish the instructions were better.I don't like the ones that come with the engine,I think a step by step would be better then a couple overviews of the engine with arrows pointing to where parts should go.Plus some of the sprues aren't even #ed so I'll have to guess on some things.

I also wrote Kato because some of the grabirons came broken,hopefully they'll send new ones.

Chris

I would not bother with grab irons that can be broken. My experience with locomotives and rolling stock is that if the grabs, ladders, and steps are not metal, they are not worth installing.

Jan 15, 2007
Seattle, Washington
I agree with Russ, if they're not metal then they're not grabirons, they're grab-plastics!

sign1

I need about 60 Athearn stanchions for my newer DD35 and my U28C...they both came with the main long rail but no stanchions...and no front rail either...

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Since Athearn stopped making locomotive kits a few years ago, I don't know if they still make the old style metal stanchions and railings. All of the new r-t-r locomotives have plastic railings and stanchions. I think Smokey Valley makes the stanchions in brass castings that are prototypically correct. If you get the smokey valley castings you would need to bend up handrails with wire.