rolling stock

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
Well, these particular ATSF loco's, in blue-and-yellow catwhiskers, normally hauled mainline freights... typically "hotshots", etc. (If a more experienced Santa Fe modeler knows more, or something different, please say so...)

So, you're choices are varied. Personally, I would compose a train of ATSF boxcars, decked out in passenger train logos and other designs. That's what I think of with warbonnet frieghts.

Just have fun with it. :thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you want to pick nits, the catwhisker scheme was as delivered during WWII. Sometime shortly after the war, they were repainted. The first repaint was a modified catwhisker scheme without the red pin stripe between the light yellow and blue. The next repaint was to the blue and yellow freight scheme used on the rest of the Santa Fe freight f units. Finally, just before they were returned to EMD to be built into gp30's they were painted solid blue. This would be in the late 50's. To my knowledge none of the fts ever got painted in a blue and yellow war bonnett scheme. If yours are the original catwhisker scheme with the red pin stripe separating the yellow from the blue, you would want to use freight cars built in the 20's, 30's, or during WWII. You would want to run 50%-75% Santa Fe or other Western roads, but you would also find box cars, gondolas, flat cars, and hoppers from all over the country on Santa Fe trains. Flat cars hauling WWII era military equipment would be a common load. Also the Santa Fe has always hauled a lot of produce in ice refers. Most of the refer cars on the Santa Fe would be Santa Fe SFRD cars, and during WWII all of the ice bunker refers would be wood sheethed rather than steel.