Rockwork pics.... :-) please

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Yah Yah I know I ask for alot...and have nothin to show for it yet. I really am working on a diorama but I am no imagineer.

I thought the bridge thread turned out well, filled with great pics!! A nice little library.

SO how about showing your rockwork pics, could be anything but especially rocky scenery blended in with foliage and such.

OR......tunnel entrances, retaining walls, gorges/riverbeds, bridge abutments...etc...etc.....etc

Thanks in advance to all who participate :D :D

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
:) , I wasn't aware you asked a lot Artwmich, besides, even if you did the Gaugers love questions.

Is this photo any use for your scrapbook?:) I'ts a pic of my N gauge diorama I scrapped 3 months ago, so I can't redo it in colour.

Errol

Attachments

• 1st- 2.jpg
    1st- 2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 272

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Here's a rocky scene on a diorama I made...

Attachments

• woods.jpg
    woods.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 258

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
Here's a couple of my more recent endeavors...

CM_mine005.JPG

CM_mine004.JPG

and a closeup...
CM_mine006.JPG

Here's a link to the details if anyone is interested:
http://www.railroadforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=999

Tom F

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Kewl beans...great pics of rocks!! Thanks everyone!! :D

I SHOULD HAVE ASKED TO TELL WHAT YOUR ROCKS ARE MADE OF WHEN YOU ADD YOUR PICS!! THANKS. I wasn't really yelling, just a visual aid...lol.

t. alexander...did you really make those rocks out of styrofoam?!?! They are awesome!

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
Originally posted by aartwmich

I SHOULD HAVE ASKED TO TELL WHAT ROCKS ARE MADE OF WHEN YOU ADD YOUR PICS!! ...

From what I understand, rocks are made out of lava, consisting of various aggregate materials like iron, silica, etc... :D ;) :p

Tom F

Oh, you mean my rocks. They're plaster of paris... :D

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Hi Ima, the styro is half inch blue foam cut into the basic contour. It was carved with one of those fat snapoff utility knife blades. The little chunks become boulders.
I would have prefered the 2" thick to build up this kind of height faster but can't get it around here.

This method is how I intend to do all the rocky scenery on my layout.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Again a very old photo of my N layout 30 years ago.

The rock strata are broken styrofoam slabs, glued at an angle. Then I added a yellowish colored plaster coat which in turn was zip-textured with darker dirt.

BTW - note the coarse plants near the scratchbuilt tunnel portal. :eek: That was way back in the days before Woodland Scenics foam.

Ron

Attachments

• tcs caboose into tunnel half.jpg
    tcs caboose into tunnel half.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 189

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi, my rockswork is "Blue Hawk" UNDERCOAT PLASTER, takes around 10 hours to go off and overnight to dry hard. So plenty of time to carve the rockwork once you have applied the plaster.

Shamus
waver.gif