Rock out croppings question?

Hello everyone, i just finished creating a mountain / tunnel on one end of my layout and im wanting to add some rocks and out croppings to it. Can anyone tell me the process of adding these rock castings? Also, i assume i dont paint the mountain until after i add the rock castings, is this correct? Thanks!
steve:wave:

Bill Pontin

Steve, I am assuming that have a base to anchor your casting to. I used 2 inch foam and formed the rought contours of my mountains. I like to adhere my castings with a stuff called "Sculptamold". It can be found in most craft stores, basically a paper mache/plaster and it must have some adhesive of some sort in it. I wet my castings first and mortor the stuff on the back of the casting and push it into place on the foam. What oozes out can be shaped and additional detail can be added around your casting. It will take three or four days for the stuff to dry. Here is a picture of the rock outcropping I just added an hour ago on one of my new "N" scale modules.

Attachments

• MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 91

Bill Pontin

Hi Steve,
Missread your post, thought you had some rock outcrop castings and wanted to put them on. Woodland Scenics has some great rubber rock molds that you purchase and use. If you know any other modelers or are a member of a club, check with some of them, more than likely someone has litteraly a box full of rubber molds they will let you borrow. It is also fun to create your own molds using the laytex rubber they sell at craft stores.