Rock Island

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
In the case of a railroad, it may not be wrong, but it is darn inconvenient of you want to play on someone elses tracks and they run on the other side :D

I haven't been around that whole situation for years now, so don't know how tghe Up and CNW worked it all out. I guess all you would need is a double crossover strategically placed and crews who were familiar with the system. Actually, I guess you would also need to have the engineer's controls on the other side too, sort of like a drivers ed car :D

Bob

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
"Take the LEFT track ???" "RIGHT !!!"

And you think the ROCK had problems, Bob ???!!!???

I'm surprised my C&NW cars can stay on the track - not knowing which direction they should be going and all !!!

;)

Thanks for the interesting history lession about the C&NW, Bob !
I hadn't heard THAT one !!

The great thing is that there's always something new in this hobby to keep your interest !!!

:)

- George

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
George,

Atlas just came out with 2 RI PS1 box cars in N-Scale. I also found a RI covered coil car in the Blk/Blue Rock scheme by Red Caboose in six road numbers. But also in N-Scale.

www.red-caboose.com

I also found Con-Cors web site where I can still get RI passenger cars in N-Scale.They also have a Yard sale page with up to 60% off,cheaper than E-bay.

www.con-cor.com

Check them both out.

Shane

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Bob,
I painted this E8 and B-units in the UPRR yellow but used the RI prototype.

Shane

I did fix the B-unit with the number in the wrong spot:D

Attachments

• e8 cropped.jpg
    e8 cropped.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 54

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
What I'm interested in getting from Con-Cor is their "Dome/Observation" car. The ROCK had only one - it was an ex-Chessie called "Big Ben" and was a feature on the QUAD CITY ROCKET.

I'm trying to deside if to get the undec. version or the Chessie version due out later. Either way I'll have to paint!

- George

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Guess what was waiting for me in the mail when I got home today, guys???

THAT'S RIGHT!!!! The twin GP38's; swappy little units. The only unfortunate part is that both the powered unit and the dummy unit are #4310. C'est la vie. I'll eventually renumber one of 'em.

I'm still very very happy. My Shinohara double x-over also came in the same package. That's the starting point of my new garage layout. So now I'm just waiting for the temp to warm up (today's high went all the way up to -8C) so I can start the benchwork.

In the meantime #4310 is moving back and forth on my shelf layout in the home office. Mmmmm............

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
It was a very good day yesterday; not only did I get the dual GP38-2's, but I also checked later at the post office, and there was my eBay purchase of a Mehano 4-4-0 American (Union Pacific). Looks great, runs even better. Ahhhhhh gotta love eBay.

It's gonna power the Patent Leather Express shopping excursion train for the railroad named after my wife.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
I have a good day TODAY!

My Stewart U25B is in! FINALLY !!!

The color IS a rich maroon. The posted Stewart photo on their web site looks more red - but then again, I knew that most of their photos look more reddish than in real life, so I wasn't TOO worried. The lights are bright (if yellow, typical of Stewart), and the drive is, of course, very smooth - it IS a Stewart, after all !

The RI had 39 of these locos, from 1963-1979. It will look good on the layout! "Some assembly required." I'm getting enough projects to keep me busy this summer!

Hope your day is going well, too, guys!

- George

:)

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Hey Guys,

Just got a note from upper managment that I needed to clean up the line or she's selling the railroad and I'll be in the soup kichen line:( ;)

Wouldn't be so bad but the layout is basicly in the living room.So I spent most of the weekend cleaning up the area, gotta love them totes;)

On a good note I've been looking for an RPO for my passenger train.Well I found one in a box amungest my stuff.The sad part of this is that I had already painted it but just forgot about it. It was like christmas all over. I do need to replace the wheel sets with MT's

Shane

Attachments

• rpo.jpg
    rpo.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 86

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
I'll be running this and two passengers behind my RS3 when I finish replcing my passenger track.I ripped up about nine feet of rails this afternoon to put in a double track bridge.I left the frieghts main line intact since there wasn't a joint there.

Shane

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Shane, I know the feeling of finding things like that which had been forgotten about. Great isn't it !

The RPO and coaches would look much better behind a Rivarossi rendition of the USRA 2-6-2 :) . You haven't got one? Awww, what a shame ....... no, you're not getting one of mine!! :D :D :D .

Errol

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Errol,

I didn't know that Rivarossi made a 2-6-2 in N-scale.I do know that Bachmann has one in thier "toy train" series.Which I wouldn't buy. I dont realy keep up with either Rivarossi or Kato.I do have a Kato 0-6-0 but that would look outa place.

I did buy a Bachmann 4-8-4 a few years ago which has now fallen into despire. I need to remotor with a Kato motor.I will also be moving the electrical pickups back to the tender.I also want to change how the tender attaches to the loco but havent thought about it to much.Just want her up and running.She has a massive drawbar pull for a toy shop edition. I just hope to have enough room for a flywheel in the cab.

Shane

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Shane;

Is your Bachman 4-8-4 part of their Spectrum series? I don't even know if they make one. I have a 2-8-0 Consolidation and a 4-8-2 Light Mountain of the Spectrum variety and like both very much. No problems yet anyway. When I am up and running hopefully I will still be solvent enough to afford a 4-8-4 and a Challenger 4-6-6-4. Although I will run whatever I am partial to the UPRR and will look to have a good representation of their motive power someday.

Bob

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Bob, If I'm reading these posts correctly, Shane is talking N scale while you are talking HO. The Bachmann 4-8-4 in HO is not Spectrum, unless they have come out with one fairly recently. I have their NYC Niagara, it runs decent, but is not comparable to their 2-8-0. Also, I haven't yet installed a decoder in it, it won't be as easy as the 2-8-0. I might mention that price is a tip off, the 4-8-4 can be had for about $55 to $60, slightly less than the 2-8-0 and significantly less than the mountain.

Gary

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
You are correct RI541, my Rivarossi beasts are 2-8-2's.
I also converted one of my two USRA 0-8-0's to a 2-8-0 using MT's conversion bolster/coupling kit. They are about 27 yrs old now and have only been run for about one hour.

How many "senior" moments am I allowed in a week?? :)

Errol