Robotech SDF-1 Papermodel

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by ThunderChild, Dec 16, 2007.

1. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Greets to everyone!

First off I'd like to thank everyone who has ever created a model and had it hosted for free.

I got a bunch of great free models off the net, most from guys on this forum, and I thought it's high time I gave something back.

So this is the beginning of my own project that I'd like to share with all: The SDF-1 from Robotech/Macross. Designing in MAYA complete, next to the unfolding!

Best wishes

Heres a scr grab to wet your appetites.

Attached Files:

2. julescrafter

julescrafter Member

wow that's cool
    i'm looking forward to see the progress.
  3. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

That's a much needed addition to teh card model world :D

Looks great so far :D

Getter 1
  4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Is it going to be transformable and include the Daedalus and Promethius? :mrgreen:
  5. ThunderChild

This version of the SDF will be Very small, parts fitting on 3 pages at most.
    As you can see in the attached image, the two carriers are included but everything is low detail.

"The artist's worst critic is himself..." and I'm no exception. I'm not satisfied with this current model's detail and I've already planned a higher detail version, but neither will transform.

This Low-D (let's call it Version 1) is just to get my feet wet. It will be my first model ever to get posted, seen and built by others... So I'm trying out the basic model first before going into complex shapes.

Version 2 will have higher detail and optional parts so you can build either cruiser or battlefortress mode. After that, we could anticipate a version 3 that will be transformable, however when time for that development comes I'm going to need some help from you guys in figuring out the dynamics, because resources on the net as to the actual transformation itself is scarce. Not even watching the episodes themselves helps with that.

PS- I'm crazy about your avatar ekuth!

Attached Files:

6. Janx

Janx Member

Yay an SDF-1 :), and a Maya modeller too! I am not alone.... really looking forward to this one Thunder.

Quick question, how do you unfold the model? I have to use pepakura atm, do you use another method?
  7. ThunderChild

Pepakura is the best and easiest apparently. Export from Maya (with textures ticked) into OBJ and open with pepakura. Then just add a few final touches of detail in Photoshop or something similar.
  8. Janx

Janx Member

That's what I do :), just wondered if there was mel file for Maya that could the same as Max and rhino.
  9. ThunderChild

Ok, so I had my first 'little' accident with my design...
    the scale!

Here's pics of my progress along with the tools I used... A toothpick and a pin!

Attached Files:

10. Janx

Janx Member

Excellent, small can be beautiful too :)
  11. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Hehehe... might wanna scale that up just a tad... :mrgreen:
  12. ThunderChild

Hehe Actually I've decided NOT to increase the scale by much. (Just a Tad...) it's not impossible to build as it is.
    Just look at the attached pic of the Daedalus and Prometheus! aint that cute?

I finished Version 2 of the SDF-1 in Maya, This will be the large model, more detail.

Now for an added bonus: I was searching for some more robotech models on the net and came to the conclusion that papermodels are seriously lacking! so I want to know what you guys think. I've decided to create a whole line of Robotech/Macross paper models, SDF being the first, and then the Destroids. I have already began modeling the Destroid Defender (Pic included here) What if I create a new thread, chronicling my robotech collection? Does anyone think this a bad idea?
    I really want your input on this.

Anyway, some update pics of the current build here for now. hope to get your feedback and comments!

Have a happy festive season and hope you all get loads of prezzies!

Attached Files:

13. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

The SDF is lookin great.

I for one would love to see a Macross line-up. As you said the amount of paper kits are seriously lacking and most any plastic or resin Macross stuff is ridicously priced!!!

You wouldn't happen to be planning any Macross 2 stuff in the future would you???

Getter 1
  14. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I've actually started preliminary work on the VF series Veritech from Macross... There I know of only one papermodel available, and it is of either the fighter or gerwalk (guardian, for those unfamiliar with the original version) mode.

My aim is to make a fully transformable, highly detailed paper model- most likely in a large scale format.

Long term project, to be sure!

Looking forward to seeing the SDF progress. Looks great so far!
  15. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hello Ekuth,

Actually there is another VF out there. It can be found here,

Ø‚è‚Ê‚­–{ ‚Æ ƒy[ƒp[ƒNƒ‰ƒtƒg

It's pretty good but there are no textures. The canopy is quite a bit off, and it does lack some structrually. It is fighter mode only but it is all in most of the components so a mod to gerwalk or battroid wouldn't be too hard.

I built the standard fighter of this one but if you're going to do a transforming one that'll be awesome :D

16. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Thanks Getter.

I actually had ran across that one before, but was disappointed by both the lack of decent instructions and the lack of textures. I started a private recolor job, but figured it would actually be easier to start from scratch and do my own.
  17. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hey Ekuth,

I built it in fighter mode and was going to build it agian in the other 2 modes but with a lack of textures I decided not to unless I could apply some (I never got around to it).

I was also going to design some new parts I felt it needed but like so many other projects I lost momentum.

So many models, so little time :(

18. Janx

Janx Member

Ekuth sounds like your doing just the thing I was planning, hehe another one to go on hold, a 1/33rd VF 1. I may swap that to a VF 2Ja or VF 2 as I have 3d models done for both. Also a VF 11 is glaring at me from the shelf demanding to be finished, If I can get these into any decent condition I'll post them here.

Sorry to hijack the post Thunder. The SDF is looking sweet :D
  19. Stormeagle

Stormeagle Member

The SDF 1 is coming up sweet, are you planning in uploading the Defender Destroid as well? It looks marvelous and with not too may faces (thus buildable / unfoldable). I always loved this mech!
  20. ThunderChild

No worries about hijacking. I love the discussion created here, there's not enough as it is! I know about that uncolored VF-1 and came across a version that has been colored! Cant remember where I downloaded it from. Unfortunately since I'm not sure if it was colored by the original artist or even with his permission, I'm not sure if I'm even going to build it.

Getter1 - Macross 2 models is a great idea! I think I have already bitten off more than I can chew with these Destroids, it'll take some time getting these babies off the assembly line and uploaded, so at the mo I'm not planning on Macross 2. Aren't they basically the same as Macross 1 tho? I haven't watched 'lovers again' an a long while so maybe I'm mistaken...

Janx - I'm really looking forward to those VF-2's! Let me know if you want a testbuilder! hehehe.

Stormeagle - I'll be uploading all the models I design, so have no fear!

there will be 4 destroids, the defender, Spartan, Phalanx and Tomahawk.

Ekuth - Once I'm done with the destroids, I was thinking about doing the armored VF Battloid. If you, by that time already have your transforming VF, maybe we could join forces and I just design the armor add-ons... Save me the time of designing the entire VF-1...