Robin's Outfitters

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Fred_M, Jan 11, 2005.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Looking great Fred! :thumb:

2. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Legos for a casting mold? :eek:
    :thumb: Looks good :thumb:
  3. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Looking good, babe! I lovvit.
  4. ausien

ausien Active Member

Great building, wish I had skills like that, what ever I touch seams to turn into junk. One day I might just master a litte of the skill/craft...have a good one..steve
  5. seanm

seanm Member

That is SUCH a neat idea!! I am constantly amazed at the talent in this Forum. Thanks for sharing!!
  6. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Dash10, that looks amazing. What kind of plaster do you use? Now that I've seen what you've done, I think I'd like to try it myself.
  7. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Thanks again guys. Dave, after trying many brands and compairing them I decided that currently DAP brand plaster of paris is the best brand in my area because I can get it at the local hardware store dirt cheap. It comes in a 4 pounds resealable plastic container for $1.95. The container alone is worth $3. It sets fast and is easy to carve (read soft). Fred
  8. revandy

revandy Member

Fantastic Fred, never would have thought of using Lego's. Whats the curing time from pour to removing the blocks?

Rev. Andy
  9. JBBVry

JBBVry Member

great job and great idea. i would have never thought to use legos to make a mold. well i have a 2 year old so you can guess how meany of those i have.
  10. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I waited about 2 hours before stripping them, and a couple days before I started carving. I don't carve until it's dry, you can tell by looking. Fred
  11. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

Fred, thanks for sharing... I will definately add DAP to my shopping list. Once again, that is a fantastic little building !!!

Bob :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  12. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

That's cool stuff Fred, Isn't it hard to get the legos out of the middle without braking the casting?
  13. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Take them out first. You take them out 1 block at a time. It's easy actually. :) Fred
  14. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Fred, thanks. I've dug out my childhood Legos stash, and DAP is on my shopping list. I've never used plaster before but you've got me wanting to try it.
  15. CN1

CN1 Active Member

Awesome Fred

BTW, how did you manage to prevent cracking?
  16. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Cracking? I dunno, cracking has never been a problem for me unless I get too rough or drop them. I have done several plaster buildings and any that cracked or broke were my fault I guess. Tell me what you mean and we can discuss it. If I can help you I will. Fred
  17. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Hi Fred, another question for you. I tried building my first plaster building tonight, but the plaster is seeping under the bricks and onto the paper I put under it. How do you keep the plaster from seeping?

Thanks for the great idea. I think the result is going to be lots of buildings, once I get the hang of this.
  18. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Mix the plaster thicker, about cake batter or pancake batter thickness.

Note that my lego mold has a lego bottom. That also keeps the wall the correct thickness too.

Some will seep into the less than perfect blocks anyway. No biggie, just soak and clean in the dishwasher when is wifey gone. I put them in an onion sack to wash them.

This is one of my older plaster buildings I did from a mold I made from a DPM and latex. These walls are less than 1/4 inch thick and the middle window sashes are flat toothpicks put into the mold and cast into the plaster. These were bad about breaking until I started putting toothpicks into the trouble areas while the plaster was wet. The wood acted as rebar.

19. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Fred, looks Great. You are doing a Great Job on it. :thumb: :thumb:
  20. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Thanks. I didn't notice the bottom on the mold in your picture. A bit of seepage doesn't bug me; it's just that it seemed like 1/3 of the plaster I poured in seeped out the bottom.

So I'm off to find a suitable Lego base. Thanks again.