Robin's Outfitters

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
Great building, wish I had skills like that, what ever I touch seams to turn into junk. One day I might just master a litte of the skill/craft...have a good one..steve

F

Fred_M

Thanks again guys. Dave, after trying many brands and compairing them I decided that currently DAP brand plaster of paris is the best brand in my area because I can get it at the local hardware store dirt cheap. It comes in a 4 pounds resealable plastic container for $1.95. The container alone is worth $3. It sets fast and is easy to carve (read soft). Fred

F

Fred_M

revandy said:
Fantastic Fred, never would have thought of using Lego's. Whats the curing time from pour to removing the blocks?

Regards
Rev. Andy
I waited about 2 hours before stripping them, and a couple days before I started carving. I don't carve until it's dry, you can tell by looking. Fred

F

Fred_M

SAL Comet said:
That's cool stuff Fred, Isn't it hard to get the legos out of the middle without braking the casting?

Take them out first. You take them out 1 block at a time. It's easy actually. :) Fred

F

Fred_M

CN1 said:
Awesome Fred

BTW, how did you manage to prevent cracking?

Cracking? I dunno, cracking has never been a problem for me unless I get too rough or drop them. I have done several plaster buildings and any that cracked or broke were my fault I guess. Tell me what you mean and we can discuss it. If I can help you I will. Fred

Hi Fred, another question for you. I tried building my first plaster building tonight, but the plaster is seeping under the bricks and onto the paper I put under it. How do you keep the plaster from seeping?

Thanks for the great idea. I think the result is going to be lots of buildings, once I get the hang of this.

F

Fred_M

Mix the plaster thicker, about cake batter or pancake batter thickness.

Note that my lego mold has a lego bottom. That also keeps the wall the correct thickness too.

Some will seep into the less than perfect blocks anyway. No biggie, just soak and clean in the dishwasher when is wifey gone. I put them in an onion sack to wash them.

This is one of my older plaster buildings I did from a mold I made from a DPM and latex. These walls are less than 1/4 inch thick and the middle window sashes are flat toothpicks put into the mold and cast into the plaster. These were bad about breaking until I started putting toothpicks into the trouble areas while the plaster was wet. The wood acted as rebar.
Fred

001.jpg