Roadway Lane Markers

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Kerrskountry, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Kerrskountry

Kerrskountry New Member

I've finished and painted my roadway (about 4 ft along side my trackwork) and am ready to do my road markings (stripes). I've used 1/16 pinstripe for my fog/shoulder lines on the right, but my question is with the dividing lines. I need both solid and broken lines and plan on using the pinstripe but should I lay it down and cut the gaps (risking damage to the roadway with my xacto) or cut the short stripes for the broken line and then apply? Or maybe there is an easy way to paint it? How do you folks do the road stripes? Any advice will be appreciated.

2. ausien

ausien Active Member

on the exo layout I am constructing, to mark out a parking area I used a roll on liquid paper, in Ho it look good.....have a good one steve
  3. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

What about making a cardboard stencil and then roll/spray paint with it? You don't even need to have it the entire 4 ft length. Make it the length of your paper, do one section, then carefully lift the stencil off and reposition it so that the end hole fits exactly over the last stripe previously painted, and paint again. Use your side markings to keep it straight. You could even cut a section with a solid line beside the broken lines. Use it in one direction and rotate it 180 for the other direction. That or make multiple stencils as long as the dashed lines are close to the same side. ;) :wave:
  4. Kerrskountry

Kerrskountry New Member

Nice idea Clark! I think I'll make a stencil with some leftover styrene sheets I have. This way there will less chance of the stencil getting soggy on the edges of the cut out.

5. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

If you are doing dashed lines for passing the pattern is 10 feet line, 30 feet blank, 10 feet line, ....