Roadway Construction Question

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Kerrskountry, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Kerrskountry

Kerrskountry New Member

I'm currently laying out my perimeter roadway/highway on one side of my layout. I used some leftover HO cork roadbed as a base with a 2 1/2 inch width. There's about a 1/2 inch gap between the two halves. My problem comes with the surface material. I tried using some posterboard with white glue thinly spread evenly on the cork. After a few minutes the board begins to bubble on the edges and I can't seem to get a flat smooth surface for my road. Has anyone had this problem or what might be a better substitute for the posterboard? Maybe a different adhesive?

Thanks for any help. I don't want my road looking like it was damaged by busted waterlines. Hmmmm on the other hand.....:cool:

2. nachoman

nachoman Guest

all water-based glues will cause the posterboad to curl. You can try a different glue, such as a contact cement that won't soak into the poster, or a different road surface. You may try a thin layer of joint compound or plaster, thin foam core board, or styrene... those "for sale" type signs are made of styrene, and would work great as a road surface.

3. b28_82

b28_82 Member

my preference is spackle. I use the woodland scenics paving tape which is a foamy strip with sticky stuff on the bottom on both sides. Then use a squeegy kinda thing to spread the spackle in there.
  4. boomboom

boomboom New Member

I have found that to get the best results on my layout,spackle works real well,along with the woodlandscenics double side road tape...
  5. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

6. Kerrskountry

Kerrskountry New Member

Thanks for your advice. You know maybe I was thinking too hard about this since the solutions were too obvious. I guess I'll try the "for sale" sign route since I have several signs of that type laying around in my shed. A little paint will cover it up. As for the polyfiller I may give that a shot when I get to another part of my layout.

Thanks for the help guys!

7. ic&e_modeler

ic&e_modeler New Member

in my opinion joint compound is the best it doesnt run at all an its easy to remove unwanted concrete.:thumb:
  8. 2Traxx

2Traxx New Member

Try some double stick carpet tape with the poster board. It will hold the board in place for a long time. The drawback is that once you stick the tape to the board you cannot remove it without wrecking the poster board.