Roads?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Wildcat...

There have been some good threads here on dirt and paved roads. Have you tried a search?

The answer to your question really depends on what type of road you want, in what location, and what era... Give us some more info about what you want to do, and I am sure someone will have an answer for you ;)

Andrew

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
I built mine with hydrocal. Pain in the.... need i go on.

But it works! all you need to do is be sure its level if you plan to put buildings or anything on it. In my case, so much of my layout ( being closer to the urban side of the spectrum) was pavement i just poured it down in huge areas, and and as it turns out iprobably could have flattened it better, but its all already painted.

Once laid down, you can take a hobby knife and cut all sort of lines and cracks out, and it looks good. Look at this concreat loading dock! i still need to decide the scenery around it, but as you can see, it has an aged, cracked look to it. you can take a nobby knife and add the indidividual concrete squares with a straight edge. when i get the rest of my roads done, i'll start adding the weeds we all know will erupt out of those cracks!

Its pretty messy though, and speed is important. I reccomend making smaller batches then the instructions say. I only get about half way through before it starts becomeing to set to work with.

img_0626_614x461_691.jpg

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
You could go with Woodland Scenics Roads. There plaster like. There is also Bucsh Roads and also Walthers has a road system also. If you don't want to spend much or have roads that are stuck there forever, you could use black sandpaper found at the hardware store.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I use the backside of asphalt shingles weathered with powdered chalks then fixed in place with Dulcote. Then I run my lines and markings with a straight edge and Elmer's Paint Pens.

Attachments

• road.jpg
    road.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 131

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
plaster with fine sand sprinkled on top for asphalt painted weathered black, plain for concreat painted gray .some times i also add plaches with differedt colored paint.

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
Roads...

I think the question that's already been asked is what type of roads? My layout in the early 1950s does not show a grat deal of asphalt. many of the major roads and minor roads were cement. So I just smooth some plaster on, paint them grey, and add tar line separations with a No.2 pencil, and I've go roads. Dirt roads is simply a brown wash over a not so smooth plaster (try and show tire tracks) and you've got dirt roads.

KISS, Allan