Road question + first shots of main street !

alex_mrrkb

Nov 13, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
www.mrrkb.com
Here's what it looks like: I have to join the single thickness with the double thickness of foamcore. How ?
roadmaking1.jpg

The only idea I tried: sparkling compound. The result is okay but the grade is WAY too steep ! I tried many times to soften it but sparkling compound is not easy to work with ... I cannot lay it in small amounts, it just wont stick... I need help ! Any suggestions ? I don't have to tools to make a grade out of wood ... foamcore and foamboard have been tried but I couldn't get anything out of them ... any suggestions for a guy with two left hands ? (and probably two left foot)
roadmaking2.jpg

And now the goodies ! Here are two shots of the soon-to-be main street !
roadmaking3.jpg

The beige building is the cinema:
roadmaking4.jpg

Thanks a lot !!!

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Try turning it over so that the long piece of foam forms the grade.
Do you have a hot wire tool? You could make a form out of three pieces of wood in a U shape, put the foam so that it sits on the bottom of the U at an angle and level it out with hot wire. Or a saw or something.
Not sure about plaster on foam -- seems that it might not agree.

alex_mrrkb

Nov 13, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
www.mrrkb.com
Originally posted by 60103
Try turning it over so that the long piece of foam forms the grade.

Three words: IT'S PERFECT !!! THANKS !!!

Gee why didn't I think of that ?

I like the final result, I just gotta fill that little void that formed under the road but sparkling compund will do the job just fine !

roadmaking5.jpg

Thanks a lot 60103 !!!

P.S. Are you friend with 90210 ? :)

alex_mrrkb

Nov 13, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
www.mrrkb.com
Originally posted by roryglasgow
I'm too chicken to try out a paved crossing like that! :D

No it's really easy to do theses ...

The road itself is simply foamcore. I stops about 1/4" from the outside of the rail. The remaining gap is filled with sparkling, sanded smooth (when dried!) and painted (then paint is removed from rail heads).

The paved part *inside* the rail is the easiest (yeah!) Just glue three toothepicks together (all I had was round toothpicks, so I sanded them smooth and flat). Glue them between the rails and paint. (again I cleaned the railhdeads)

Et voila !

P.S. For the right color I siply used woodland scenics asphalt paint. It's not quite perfect but does the job for now.

:)