Road Names

Bob Collins

While I'm sitting here watching the glue dry ( I timed at and it doesn't make any different whether you watch it or not
smile.gif
) I'm trying to fisgure out what I'm eventually going to call this " thing" laying here on the benchwork. I think it was Woodie who suggested the Ozark and Winnipeg, which ain't too shabby, but not just right. Based on what Woodie suggested I thought of a couple of others. What do you think about either "Ozark Mountain & Northwest Wilderness" or "Ozark and Northern Wilderness"? Either one of then do anything for anyone other than make you want to gag
rolleyes.gif

I'm open to suggestions. I live in the Ozark hills of southern Missouri and I would like to think I am running north or northwest where I will cross the lines of the UP, MP, CRI&P, Milwaukee, etc. I suppose I could stretch it all the way to the Canadian National!!

Bob

C

Catt

Ozark Northern ?

------------------
Catt! NARA#1 & A freelancer for life:D:D

Bob Collins

I think one of you is right and I don't know which one. It needs to be either Northern or Northwestern to supposedly get where I want it to go. This is from a guy who is sitting a mile from the main line of the old Frisco, but I want to be able to use UP, MP and the like on my layout.

I'm sure it will all come to me in a dream
rolleyes.gif
some night!

I just finished gluing down a double crossover and it is actually exausting, although I lifed nothing heavier that a turnout and the glue bottle!!

Bob

Bob
I'll use this thread since it is shorter than the other. I'd like to have a real nice name for my RR, but what it is called depends on how frustrated it has made me, ranging from TU (The Unbelieveable), to $%^&%$#@*&^and %$#&^$#@. Mostly it is the M&M, (Me & Mine)
On my benchwork, I do some woodworking, or did, and had some 3X5 pieces of 1/2" plywood. I had plenty of it so I made a 5X10, the 5 attached to a wall, then L-ed it for 6', which makes a 10X11 LI got enough of the 1"thick blue foam to cover it all, then laid a second layer aroud where the track was going to be on the 5X11 section. I laid temporary track to see where it would be and cut a 4-5" slab along the track, then started a grade for an up and over. Slicing that way, there is no abrupt change for starting up since just one foam thickness is going up. This track is an oval with a couple sidings. Inside that oval I put a couple tracks that go under it and off to the 5X10 leg, where I'll have a small mountai, tunnel and run a shay or 2. I pick 5' wide because I can reach to the middle from each side, giving me easy access to any part. I'm not using cork roadbed because in a lot of places I can easily carve ditches in the foam. Of course, nothing is carved in stone yet so it might get changed before I glue the track, but so far, I like it. I've got a scanner, and if I ever learn how to use it I'll try pictures. So far I'm lucky to get this thing to take messages.At any rate, I'm having a good time, and I tend to hurry my layout along because kids see it and I like to have something running for them . I enjoy seeing the kids faces as much as I enjoy building it. Hope you got yours going

Lynn

C

Catt

When I first started my Grande Valley RR in 1978 it was known as the MTS(literally My Train Set)because I started with two(shutter) Tyco HO scale train sets.In 1980 I changed the name to the Grande Valley RR.Twenty three years later and a scale change to N scale about 4 years ago I'm still happy with the name and colour scheme I chose.

------------------
Catt! NARA#1 & A freelancer for life
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Catt! (edited 07-28-2001).]

Bob Collins

I think one of the best road names I have seen in some time was the model rr featured on the cover of Model Railroad Craftsman a couple of months ago, I think. The B,S &T.
(Blood, Sweat and Tears
smile.gif
I think that at times that sums it up for all of us.

I like the roadname someone on here uses, The Grande Valley. It makes me think I might want to do something like "The Ozark Mountain."

I guess I'm going to have to grim and bear it and tear out the very first place I started laying track. I used the wrong type of glue which actually bubbled up betwen the ties. It is okay on the regular track, I've been able to cut out a lot with a craft knife, but it is also on two 90 degree crossovers and I can see that it has made them entirely to rough. I'll play with it a little more to see if I can make it better, but don't hold out much hope at this point.

We've had several rainy days in a row, so I've had lots of indoor time and have made a lot of progress laying track.

Bob

IMRL393

Here's a new one!

How about the "Gainesville Midland Railroad" ??!?

:rolleyes:

10 Brownie points to the first one to find out where it was !!!!

;)

- George

IMRL393

We have a winner!

Correct !!!

One of the *many* U.S. "Short Lines. "
This one ran from Gainesville to Athens, Georgia.
Only about 33 miles long (not counting the separate Winder road)!!!!!!!!!

It went through Jefferson, Ga., where I saw (and heard) it often as a kid (and re-enforced my love of trains). So it's kinda special to *me*! Might model it someday.............too busy with the ROCK and IMRL where I live now (along the Mississippi).

CSX owns the track now, but I don't know what (if any) traffic is has.

You can see a little info about the G-M at:

http://www.negia.net/~jeff/Railroad/GMRR/

Anyone else have a "stumper" they want to throw out ???

- George

Bob Collins

I would be interested to know if a railroad called the Fort Dodge, Des Moines & Southern ever really existed. I saw the other day where Kadee is offering a box car with that name on it and as it is up near where I grew up I wondered it it were legit.

Also, can anyone tell me what railroad, if any, is represented by the letters T P &W? Is that a real railroad? I have an HO boxcar I bought 40 years ago and has been stashed away all these years with that lettering and I haven't a clue if it is real or not!

Bob

Bob Collins

Six months ago I wouldn't have had a clue about the CRANDIC, but I ran across it when I was looking for something else.

My siblings and I wonder if maybe our father, who did his medical residency at the University of Iowa Hospital might not have ridden the interurban to Cedar Rapids to court our mother. Since both have long ago passed away we'll never know, but I think it a very good chance that he did. My brother who lives in Davenport told me that the CRANDIC hauls only freight now, just like everyone else.

As an aside. As a small boy I used to ride the Milwaukee Hiawatha from Council Bluffs to I Marion to visit my grandparents who lived in Cedar Rapids (536 Knollwood Drive SE). If I rode it to visit my other grandmother who lived in Des Moines, I would ride to Madrid where you got off the Hiawatha and got on a gas powered doodlebug that usually pulled one other car and rode that into Des Moines. Oh to be able to relive that fun. Once in awhile I would ride the Rock Island Rocket from Council Bluffs to Des Moines. Don't know why we did one or the other. I think my dad, who worked his way through college as a signalman's assistant on the UP, just liked the Milwaukee.

Bob

billk

Marion, IA (that's where I live now) tries to keep its "railroad town" heritage alive - the city park has a caboose in it, and also a pavilion that has the old depot's roof.

Bob Collins

I saw the Marion, Iowa on your posting, so was aware you lived there, or at least told the Gauge people that's where you are located.

What are you modeling?

Bob

billk

I'm modeling on paper for now, trying to get right-of-way somewhere in the house. My oldest is scheduled to join the USMC next month, and if he does it will free up a bedroom .. somewhere .. maybe. I'm a hardcore boat-rocker, so I'm considering a "Middle Earth" kind of thing, using prototypical equipment and operations in a weird scenery/industry environment, preferably all steam and very early era cars. (Hence the herald I'm trying for my avatar.) But then again, may I won't have enough room to do it up right, so who knows, I might do something more sensible.
Bill K

IMRL393

Iowa roads

Here's a listing of current Iowa roads for those interested:

http://www.dot.state.ia.us/railplan/appendix_a.htm

Don't see any Fort Dodge, Des Moines and Southern - maybe it got 'et up ????

Seem to be a lot of people with ties to Iowa here !

And our most "famous" :

"No, I'm from Iowa - I just work in Outer Space."

- James T. Kirk, Capt., starship "Enterprise"

;)

Bob Collins

I guess we are sort of off the subject, but unless the moderator chimes in I guess we are okay.

I have a brother in Davenport and one in Des Moines. We were all raised in Council Bluffs. My mother was born and raised in Cedar Rapids, my dad in Oelwein. The Collins came to Iowa in 1856 from Indiana and settled at Traer, Tama County, where there are about 4 generations of them buried. One side of my mothers family came first to Anamosa, Jones County and then to Cedar Rapids. My grandfather Moore was a state representative from CR for many years about 90 years ago and also served a couple of terms as Iowa Lt. Governor.

So I have lots of Iowa roots. Would probably be living there today, but I discovered the winters in southern Missouri are a lot less severe than what I grew up in:D

I also have family that came to Muscatine from Germany. None of that line still living.

Bob