Road Markings & Grade Crossings

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
Hi everyone,

I just successfully poured a road on my layout using
durabond 90 (which seems to make a nice flat surface)
I'm happy with the results, but need put some road markings

I was going to use very thin strip styrene, but before I do
does anyone have any other suggestions.

Also..

I have to make some Grade crossings, have anyone just
used something like plaster / durabond and then cleaned
out the flangeways?. I'm alittle nervous about doing
it as I don't want to screw up reliability, but it does seem
that it would look really good .. oh b.t.w. this is in N scale

Graham

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Yep, did the "goo" (I used woodlands scenics road system, same process) thing on the outside and inside of the rails, then used a pair of old trucks to move back and forth and clear out the flangeways. Worked very well.

As for the road markings, I think tape would work better than styrene. My LHS has really thin tape that works great, might wanna check yours too (this was a general hobby store, btw, a lot of R/C car stuff, the tape is actually used for masking).

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Graham:
when you select the truck, compare it to all your other wheels. try for both the deepest flanges and the narrowest gauge you can find. (I know they're all supposed to be the same!) You want the bit of roadway in the middle to accommodate everything you'll run through it.

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi:
Unless you want to paint your stripes so they'll be "authentic", in which case i can't wait to see your mini asphalt machine! Chartape is the way to go. You can get it in white, yellow, black, blue, etc. It's flexible too.

Regards,
Ted

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Road markings?, how about white and yellow decal stripes. they're not as thick as tape, can be set with setting solution, and can be faded/weathered for a more realistic appearance.
All white and all yellow decal sheets can be cut to width as required, or clear decal sheets spraypainted, and then cut.
Pete

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Also, if you have an airbrush you can cut yourself a stencil for road markings out of thin cardstock or acetate sheet (better). This is the best approach for appearance and also for dashed marks. It's also a good project to cut your teeth on if you're a bit iffy on airbrushing, as the stencil masks off everything you don't want to paint. Weight the edges of the cut-out sections so the paint can't get underneath and lightly mist from directly above. You want the paint to drift down and settle in the cut-outs. Too much of an angle or too much pressure and the pressure will lift the edges getting paint underneath the stencil. Alternatively, you can coat the back side of the stencil with one coat rubber cement to give it some tack.

cheers
:D Val

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
What I did, when I was into N scale, was bring the road right up to the outside of the rails. Then I bought some of thoses N scale wood ties(I think Chooch makes them). I measured the inside of the track and figured out how many ties it would take glued side by side leaving enough room for th flanges(It was either 5 or 6).Using Elmers glue I would glue them to a peice of plastic. I staggered them. When dried I cut to length, remove from the plastic,and glued in the track and it made an excellent looking wood crossing.
For lines, I used one of those paint pens(Testors)
I'm gonna do the same thing for my HO crossings. If I could find the ties.

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
Wow!,

Thanks for all of the advice guys... I'm going to have to
think about what to try based on availability of materials
(read... whatever I see first when I have a few dollars in
my pocket!).

I've made some crossings with scale lumber, they look
great but don't really look appropriate with major roads.

in other news!..

My poured crossings have worked!.. I cleaned the flangeways
and the track and have trains successfully traversing them!!

now for the markings

Graham