Road bed

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Connor, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Connor

Connor Member

I'm getting ready to start my G Scale outdoor railroad.. I've been reading alot about how to do the roadbed.. Most of what I've read says dig down about 2" by 5" or so wide.. and fill with crushed fines.. My back isn't too good, and the ground is going to make this a very hard task.. I've been doing some research.. and found some patio brick edging that's 1.5" Tall by 2.5" wide L shape.. But 2 of these up and I have a 5" troft I can fill with the crushed fines.. Has anyone done this and how well does it work? Is it worth the extra money I'll end up paying for the edging?

Thanks, Connor
  2. Connor

Connor Member

Come on guys, 44 views, and not a single response? :)
  3. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Connor, I have no idea how it would work, but I don't see why not! They will need to be leveled, which is part of the idea of digging down. If I were doing it, I would stick the bases of each pair together with a concrete calk or other weather-proof adhesive; if you don't, I think they will have a tendency to separate just from working on the track, and worse over time. :mad: Leave the ends free (or just glue the bottom half) so the trough can drain.

Corners will require a little thought; maybe chipping the edgers to a miter (got a rock hammer?) or even sawing them, if you have something with which to cut them. I think you can rent a tile saw from Home Depot. Once it's all stuck together it would be pretty solid, and keep your rock under control (out of the grass). :thumb: :thumb:

I have seen track laid on top of cinder blocks, and I think your idea would look much better. :rolleyes:

You must be giving us a hint as to your location, where I am, I would wait 'til spring!! :D :D
  4. jetrock

jetrock Member

Are you going to cement or otherwise secure these patio edging things into place? If not, then an errant misstep might knock some of your roadbed free, leaving you with quite a mess...the fines might also leak out through the butted-up brick edging, leaving you short of ballast.
  5. Connor

Connor Member

Not going to use brick, just the plastic edging used to hold the bricks.. I'm in Tenneessee, so that ground is a bit rocky.. and it's cold. Just trying to save up the $$ and plan everything out before spring.