Road Bed and Re-Railers.

Connor

Jan 25, 2005
I'm getting ready to lay my roadbed down.. I have a few sections of re-railer track on my layout, What exactly do you all do to make the re-railers look right with regards to roadbed? I'm using the WS style roadbed..

Thanks, Connor

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Connor said:
I'm getting ready to lay my roadbed down.. I have a few sections of re-railer track on my layout, What exactly do you all do to make the re-railers look right with regards to roadbed? I'm using the WS style roadbed..

Thanks, Connor
One thing I did was to use two of them on a double track as a road grade crossing. I filled the space between them to look like wooden planks.

Connor

Jan 25, 2005
yea, but how do you "blend" them into roadbed since they're at the same level as the track and the roadbed goes underneath.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Connor said:
yea, but how do you "blend" them into roadbed since they're at the same level as the track and the roadbed goes underneath.
You can't. Using them as grade crossings kinda makes them appear like they belong since you would normally have to fill in between the tracks with either wood planks or road material anyway. I don't know what the others do if they are elsewhere, but if I had to use one in the middle of some roadbed I suppose I'd paint the rerailer part to match the gravel, and at least make it less apparent.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Most rerailers have a plank pattern cast into them. I would distress them by scuffing them up with coarse sandpaper or the edge of a razor saw. Then I would paint them a creosote color, let it dry then drybrush shades of dark gray and brown, finishing them up with a lighter shade of gray. When I installed them, I ran the road material of choice (in my case, it was and still is the backside of asphalt roofing shingles) right up to it. I then had a grade crossing that resembled the timber ones that are prevalent around the area I grew up in. I no longer use them myself, prefering to build up my grade crossings using timber material cut from Ohio Blue Tip matches. My rerailer is the portable ramp type made by RIX Products, the old peepers just ain't what they used to be. :thumb:

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Try making a double width roadbed at that point, that sticks out beyonf the rerailer.
I saw a photo of a prototype rerailer in an online mag. It was the same principle with the operating bits in steel beams. Places at the start of a bridge.