Rix uncoupling tool

the_great_snag

HI everyone,

I was in the LHS yesterday and saw the little Rix uncoupling tool. You know, the one that looks like an inverted U with magnets on each side and a little handle? Anyway, the package shows it being used on HO equipment.

Has anyone tried this little beauty on N scale stuff? How does it work?

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Ray, I got two plastic units in a pack for uncoupling N gauge Micro Trains Kadee couplers. They have a arrow head shape at one end. Just put it into the coupler from above and turn it 90 degrees and the units are uncoupled. Works well and is affordable

billk

Ray - I had (some time ago, so I'm relying on probably faulty memory circuits) an email exchange with the owner of Rix.

He indicated that the HO scale version had the magnets too far apart to actuate the N scale couplers, and that an N scale version wasn't too feasible because the magnets required would be almost the same size as the HO scale version but would have to fit in a smaller 'package', and might derail any car with iron/steel components.

I've thought of using battery-powered electromagnets in a similar way, mounted on the end of a 'wand' and activated via push button on the handle. Feel free to experiment with the idea!

shaygetz

I have two of the HO ones and am disappointed with their performance. They are easily attracted to the steel detailing on my fleet and they take some finagling to separate the couplers. I have much better success with those long toothpicks used to hold sub sandwiches together, the kind with the celophane curly tops. Our club uses them. Just drop the point in between each coupler and lightly twist. I'm pretty sure they'll work in N scale too.

davidstrains

Originally posted by Matthyro
Ray, I got two plastic units in a pack for uncoupling N gauge Micro Trains Kadee couplers. They have a arrow head shape at one end. Just put it into the coupler from above and turn it 90 degrees and the units are uncoupled. Works well and is affordable

Robin,

Who makes those units?

Tyson Rayles

David the Rix Pix sounds like what Robin is describing only they came 5 to a pack (or used to anyway). They work great for N-Scale. Snag the HO version won't work for n-scale, ask me how I know :D :D :D .

wendell

Hi use shikabob skiwers their made of wood and work as well as the rix pics and they are 50 for $1.00. Wendell

Pooh Bah
I've had the same trouble as shaygetz with the magnets tending to grab steel ladders and things.
In HO we're using wire units to grab the air hoses and pull. They have a long wire and then a right angle bend at the end. Other end of the wire is mounted on a handle or flashlight. (Credit to Lionel Strang in MR)
I've also used the little arrow head thinies, but I haven't seen them for years.

SD90

I have a friend who made his own uncoupling tool from a small scew driver and a finishing nail, I think. Next time I go over there, I'll get a closer look at it!

the_great_snag

Thanks for the info guys. You saved me a few bucks, as I was going to buy one. I might anyway, just for my Christmas tree HO setups!

I've used tiny philips screwdrivers with fair results too. I tend to be a bit ham-fisted though, so it's tricky to do it without derailing the cars in question.

I have a couple skewers laying around. I'll give them a try.