Riverside packing house … kind of …

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by cnw1961, Nov 25, 2007.

1. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Oh man, I wanted to build the National Orange Company packing house in Riverside http://scph002.home.netcom.com/riverside_national1.jpg but somehow I got it wrong :oops: and ended up building this http://scph002.home.netcom.com/riverside_national2.jpg :mrgreen:.

Seriously, I planned to build the front half of this really interesting and good looking structure, but then I thought that the backside would fit better on to my layout. The rear is not as beautiful as the front, but somehow I like it too. With the help of the scale drawings from the "Built in America" site, I could easily do HO scale drawings to build it perfectly to scale. The length of the HO model is 2 ft. I only made one major change to the structure as I mirrored it, because it will look better on my layout.

BTW, Russ, thank you for the tip on the citrus modeling group a few days ago :wave:.

I started by building the structure using .080" cardboard.

Then I started the tedious job of cutting nearly 300 little boards and gluing them to the walls.

287 (or 279??:mrgreen:) boards and several hours later, it looks like that. Now I have to decide on the roofing material I want to use. They changed it several times on the prototype during the long years this structure existed, so I have the choice.

2. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

thats on great looking structure there kurt! those boards may have taken long but they were worth it :thumb:,they look so much better than scribed boards.ow do you plan to weather this structure?--josh
  3. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Josh, thank you. The structure will be painted and weathered. It is still far from being finished.
  4. nachoman

nachoman Guest

Absolutely impressive start!

5. scubadude

scubadude Member

BAD TO THE BONE Kurt! :thumb:
  6. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

Looking GREAT Kurt!:thumb:
  7. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

WoW..!!! 287 pieces cut..?? Did you cut them from sheet stock, or was the cutting to length only..?? However you did it, it sure looks amazing..!! :eek:

What kind of cardboard did you use to "frame" it up..?? Also, what material are the boards made of..??

Look forward to seeing the finished product..!! :thumb:
  8. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Another question...What are the bushes in your pictures made of..??

(Guess you can tell I intend to copy your work...):mrgreen:
  9. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Kevin, Richard, Steve, Gus, thank you for your kind words :wave:.

Gus, I had a 40" x 4" x .040" sheet of basswood that I cut into 12" x .120" strips. Then I cut the strips into pieces of 3". Must have been nearly 300 pieces.

As I learned a few days ago, the type of cardboard I used is called chipboard in the US. The "bushes" are Silflor prairie grass tufts sold by Scenic Express.
  10. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Looks great, Kurt, and a nice addition to your layout. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished job. I also like the look of the tracks in those last two pictures.

11. jesso

jesso Member

Wow Kurt!

That looks great. :thumb: Not only do I wish I had your modeling skills, I wish I had your patience!
  12. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

OH MY GOODNESS!! You're my hero kurt! :) Seriously, that's amazing! and you're modeling what I'm trying to model! FANTASTIC!!!
  13. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

WHOA Kurt, that is AWESOME!!!!!!. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I mean WOW!!!! Are you going to weather it too??
  14. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Dang it, Kurt, you do such fantastic work. That is gorgeous!
  15. w8jy

w8jy Member

I think it is a plot to give the rest of us an inferiority complex! That is truly great work, Kurt - the long hours you spent were really worthwhile. It sets a standard for the rest of us to try to achieve!
  16. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Exactly! Kurt is giving me low self-esteem.:cool:
  17. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

Excellent as always Kurt! Can't wait to see the finished model. Is this going on your present shelf layout?
  18. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Thank you all for you very kind and encouraging comments. I really appreciate it. :wave:

Tetters, yes, it is going on the right side of my shelf layout.

No, not really. Jess, Gary, I hope this post will show you that it is nothing but a rumor. :mrgreen:

Today I tried to find a way to model the roof vents (is it that, what these hut-like structures on the roofs are called? I would not even know how to call them in German :oops:). In pictures of models of the packing house I saw, that the roof vents were all built with solid wooden sides instead of louvers with single slates as on the prototype, so they did not help. Here is what I managed to do. I did not take any pictures while building it, because I was too curious to see if it would work out. But I still have two more left to do, so I can take some pictures then.

19. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I believe that on the prototype, some vents can be opened or closed. So maybe the model is showing a closed vent...? ;)

20. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Andrew, you are right, but the closed vents on the prototype still look like vents and not like a solid wall :wave:.