Rivarossi parts?

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Hi ,does anyone know if there is a source for Rivarossi parts anymore?

I bought a basket case Heisler that is missing a few parts ,drive shafts , side rod Etc. Those parts I can fabricate easily enough but I am also missing the semicircular motor mount that holds the motor to the gear box. I CAN fabricate it if I HAVE to, but it is quite a bit of bother. If I could buy one from some source that still sevices these it would be a lot easier. Walthers ( the last holder of the franchise -- I think ) only lists a cab or boiler & they want 50 bucks for any part they have .

Any help would be appreciated, I would hate to actually scrap this piece.

N

nachoman

way back in my brain I remember someone asking this before, and the response was a supplier in Ohio somewhere...

I am gonna see if I can dig up that thread.

Kevin

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Thank you . I will call them tomorrow.
Actually they are a customer of mine for "The Good Ones " cut off disks that I market, it was about time to check up on them anyway--- You know "two birds----&all".

Funny thing ---on that thread was a suggestion about buying a "parts loco" on E bay----- how do you think I got in this mess in the first place??
In Fact, about half of my locos were bought the same way -- "oh heck I'll just snatch this up & salvage some detail parts off it" .----- "Hmmm ya know wth a little work I could get this thing fixed & working"--- fiddle --fiddle --fiddle ------- "Ok there it works--- Hmm now I need another one to salvage --- Hello E Bay? "

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think part of the problem with finding parts for Rivarossi locomotives is that after going though bankruptcy once, when the new owners bought the company, they redesigned the locomotives to use a new style can motor in place of the old unreliable Rivarossi motor, and changed the wheels out from the old European style "pizza cutters" to rp25. The drive parts and motors don't interchange between old style and new style. The company has since gone through various owners and in and out of bankruptcy, so that when you find a company that has a stock of spares, you need to find out if they have spares for the generation of the model you have.

N

nachoman

If you can't find the part, and you are forced to fabricate something, consider remotoring while you are at it. those old squat round motors werent that great. But whatever you do, post photos here. It could be a valuable resource for others that have old rovarossis that need repair.

Kevin

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
If I do end up remotoring it . I'll probably build a gear reduction of some sort to slow the loco down, just having a better motor won't really make that much difference.
I have a Mantua/Tyco 0-6-0 running gear & frame that I built a brass tank engine to fit( Cherry Valley as in the Locomotive Cyclopedia) , on it, I built an auxillary transmission between the motor & the worm & axle gear --- got it to where it will crawl.
The only drawback to that would be I have six of these heislers , 5 rivarossi & 1 Brass ---get one reworked & then I'll have to do em all! Rats.

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Hey , that worked out pretty slick, got in touch with Ray today, he had the mount & some other parts that I was going to fabricate as well. I'm feeling lazy today so I ordered them all.

Thanks for the tip guys.

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Hey , that worked out pretty slick, got in touch with Ray today, he had the mount & some other parts that I was going to fabricate as well. I'm feeling lazy today so I ordered them all.

Thanks for the tip guys.

Man!! Do I wish I had not felt so lazy that day. I got my parts today & the credit card charges-- they would not look up the prices when I ordered them -- but how much can a few little pieces cost?
A LOT!! FIFTY TWO PLUS DOLLARS ALL TOLD!!
The motor bracket I needed was only $3.40 ---asked for a couple drive shafts $ 2.45 ea. --so far so good--- 2 side rods another 2.45 ea. Alls well---- THEN comes the 2 truck mounting screws -- just a simple shouldered screw -- SEVEN Thirty Five EACH!! --AND the same for 2 truck springs --- they are about like a ballpoint pen spring --only softer!!! TWENTYNINE DOLLARS PLUS for 2 screws & 2 Springs !!
I'll call them in the AM & HOPE they will take the screws & springs back, I can fabricate both of them .

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Man!! Do I wish I had not felt so lazy that day. I got my parts today & the credit card charges-- they would not look up the prices when I ordered them -- but how much can a few little pieces cost?
The motor bracket I needed was only $3.40 ---asked for a couple drive shafts $ 2.45 ea. --so far so good--- 2 side rods another 2.45 ea. Alls well---- THEN comes the 2 truck mounting screws -- just a simple shouldered screw -- SEVEN Thirty Five EACH!! --AND the same for 2 truck springs --- they are about like a ballpoint pen spring --only softer!!! TWENTYNINE DOLLARS PLUS for 2 screws & 2 Springs !!
I'll call them in the AM & HOPE they will take the screws & springs back, I can fabricate both of them .

Well, I called Golf Manor Hobbies this morning & even their parts man was shocked about the price of the springs & screws. He did not do the billing on them & at first thought they would have been $2.45 apiece. he said " Yeah, $2.45 is a bit much for a screw ,but they are scarce" --- when I told him they were NOT 2.45 but 7.35 he was shocked & said to return them.
At $ 2.45 I would have kept them both.

N

nachoman

Some things are just that way. If you own a swimming pool or know anyone that does, you will know that as soon as "for swimming pools" is added to the lable, the price suddenly multiplies by 10. Need some simple plastic gizmo for your pool on par with the complexity of a 59 cent PVC pipe elbow? It will cost 15.99. Or what about the car parts for those rare or import parts? A rebuilt alternator for a 70s-80s ford may cost you 40 bucks. A rebuilt alternator for volvo may cost you 400.

I'm glad to hear you could return the parts. But I am always suprised at the cost of replacement parts, no matter what I am working on.

Kevin

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com

I am glad they worked something out with you. I dealt with them a couple years ago and it didn't work out so well. While it is true that they are the only comprehensive source of Rivarossi parts in the US, it is also true that I send very little business their way, and only reluctantly at that, preferring to offer what I may have in my box or junking out an Ebay loco.

Dick Elmore

Aug 22, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
Dave, I once bought an older Rivarossi 2-8-2 with the pizza cutter wheels and the motor in the cab from a hobby shop that was going out of business. They had cannibalized the motor to repair another 2-8-2 but I bought the rest of the engine,new, for $15. I sent to NWSL for a motor for $27. Then I cut the old motor mount off and filled in the hole with clear silicone. I then connected the drive shaft to the motor shaft and set the motor in the silicone as it was setting up. This was about 15 years ago and it is still one of the smoothest and quietist running steam engines I own! :thumb:

Dick
Texas Chief

scubadiver49er

Dec 7, 2011
Rivarossi Big Boy Parts

Hello. New to this forum. A number of years ago, my infant daughter "dumped" my 4-8-8-4 HO Rivarossi Big Boy (Don't ask how- embarrassing). I'm looking for replacement plastic sell parts, specifically the bell and the number signs on the front of the steam box. Any ideas as to who to contact regarding a replacement shell or parts for this? Thanks.

Rich S.

Z

Zathros

:welcome1: to the forum scubadiver49er, maybe one of the Train Guys can help you out. You better off making an introduction post. Posting thew way you did will just get your post lost in the shuffle.