Rivarossi help

grandpabuff

I am searching for information for a Rivarossi #9280 N scale 4-6-6-4 Challanger. I purchased via Ebay. It is in an original Rivarossi red box, but something looks wrong. The engine and tender are shorter than the cutout in the foam and all the knotches in the foam do not line up with the engine and tender. There are no markings on the engine or tender (no engine number or railroad name). The seller said that it had been stored on a shelf for many years, bit the engine and tender are shiney and new looking. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Jerry

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Could be a Challenger, that was misplaced in a a Big Boy box, or the box from the Challenger with the foam from a Big Boy.
Only thing I can think of.

grandpabuff

Thanks for your reply. The engine is a challanger. I have others. The engine fits in the notch in the front and the height is correct for N scale but the length of the foam cut out is too long. I guess my greatest concern is that the engine is not a rivarossi, but a cheap knock off placed in a rivarossi box. I may have to remove the cab to try to fine some identification. I have never seen an original rivarossi engine that is un-numbered or un-decorated. Thanks again, Jerry