Rivarossi Heisler

I have the Rivarossi McCloud River Railroad two truck Heisler, and in runs great. I have it weathered up nice and it has allready been involved in a photo shoot!

But, what decoder has any one put into it and was there any problems with the instalation?

Thanks,

Drew

Attachments

• resize of heisler1379b.jpg
    resize of heisler1379b.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 203

camelot

Is this the old or new Rivarossi Heisler ? I thought the new one was DDC ready? as for the old i kinda was wondering that myself.
Maybe a n scale decoder if it dosn't draw much current.

BTW must have missed the previous photo shoot , but i love this one :D

Ian

Oh yes, it is the new Rivarossi Heisler. And yes Ian, it is DCC ready. But I was wondering if any one has actually installed a decoder in it, and if so, what type of decoder, for what reason?

Drew

Summit

Can't help you with the DCC part...haven't got that advanced yet. I also have one of the McCloud River heislers...very, very good model.

All you need now is one of the Bachmann 4-wheel cabooses painted up in McCloud colors...the Dunsmuir hardware store (if you ever get that far south) sells them...

Always enjoy your pictures here.

All you need now is one of the Bachmann 4-wheel cabooses painted up in McCloud colors...the Dunsmuir hardware store (if you ever get that far south) sells them...

Summit,

I have emailed those people numerous times (or maybe it was the McCloud General Store!!) and no-one has yet to write me back. Maybe I have the wrong email address. Do you have a way to contact them, even a phone # would be nice!

Drew

Summit

Drew-

Mailing address and phone number for Dunsmuir Hardware Store:

Dunsmuir Hardware, 5836 Dunsmuir Ave., Dunsmuir, CA, 96025 (530) 235-4539

I pulled this information off of the visit Siskiyou website (http://www.visitsiskiyou.org).

To my knowledge this store does not have internet or e-mail. I know the McCloud Hardware store does have e-mail, and they do advertise McCloud Railroad miniatures on their website, but the last couple times I have been in that store they have not had any such items. They used to have an extensive supply of locomotives and cars painted for the road, but none in about a year now.

The Dunsmuir Hardware store on the other hand had quite a large bunch of equipment painted for the McCloud, including the Bachmann 4-wheel caboose, several Athearn wide vision cabooses, flatcars, boxcars, ore jennies, covered hoppers, etc. Most of the cars they had for sale were never on the McCloud property (at least not in the paint they were displayed in), but some (including the 4-wheel caboose) were very close to what the "real" McCloud had. In addition to the custom painted MR stuff they also had custom painted stuff for Yreka Western and Central Oregon & Pacific.

The only real complaint I had about the caboose was that they put the full logo on the cupola...not a big detail, but in reality none of the 4-wheel cabooses the "real" McCloud had wore the logo, and as I sit here and think about it the first cabooses that I ever did see the logo on were the two International wide vision cabs purchased new in 1962...

One more thing...if you are willing to drop another $250 or so the Dunsmuir Hardware store also carried the Bachmann 3-truck Shay in HO done up as McCloud River #16. Nice looking model. The Shasta Sunset Dinner Train also had one of these in their gift shop in McCloud (I don't remember if the one in the SSDT was the #16 or the #17). The McCloud did have two 3-truck Shays, purchased new about 1911 and sold in 1924...they went to the Fruit Growers Supply Company out of Susanville, CA, where they served as their #4 and #5 until retired and scrapped about 1952 or 1953. The two McCloud River Shays are very, very close to the Bachmann Shay.

Hope this helps, sorry this got a little long.

JD Moore
Elko, NV

Summit

Thanks for the welcome, and you're welcome for the info. Anything futher you need, don't hesitate to ask!

-Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

railcodger

Hi Drew,

I installed a Digitrax DZ143PS in my 2 truck Heisler. The only problem I encountered was that I was not careful enough in disassembly and damaged the headlight. The speed control is great, especially on the low end.

william

Welcome raolcodger

Hello william, welcome to the gauge!

Sorry for the late reply as I was gone all week, had to go way up to Hay River NWT again. But we're back for a while, I hope.

So, you put a 'Z' scale decoder in your HO scale heisler and it runs great. Well then, I just might have to try that as well. Thanks for the info and I'll let you know the results I get.

Hope you have fun at the gauge, I know that some of the most friendly and helpful people reside here. Enjoy!!

Drew