Rivarossi Heisler

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Drew Toner, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Drew Toner

Drew Toner Member

Has any body else been looking into the new 2 truck Heislers? I am so wanting a McCloud River example. The different websites seem to not have info on them yet, but Internet Hobbies does seem to have a pretty good price!

Any comments on Internet Hobbies, has anybody dealt with them? Or any where else that you might buy the new Rivarossi Heisler?

Even my 'LHS' is by mail order :>(

2. moss-lake

moss-lake Member

Hi Drew,
    I looked at them on the Walthers site. While they've up graded some features, others are still the same. Things like the universals are still the '80s design that came out on the originals and the 3-trucker is still a 2-trucker with a tender. Not enough difference to make me want to part with my older models, particularly as I'm half way through converting them to can motors.
  3. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Drew, The new Rivarossi Heisler isn't any better runner than the original version, I have a couple of these and they run as sweet as a nut. Just a tad noisy. Don't know if the new versions will be quiter, if they are, I shall be after one.
  4. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hi Drew, Before I switched to narrow gauge I had one of those and was satisfied with it. As Shamus said it was a tad noisy but it ran well. Considering the alternative (brass and mega bucks) its probably a good value. Just shop the discounters and get the best price you can.
  5. Topo

Topo Member

Uh, Internet Hobbies?

There are several years that I do 99% of my model purchases over the Internet. The ONLY bad experience that I have had was with Internet Hobbies (and it was the first -and last- time that I intended to purchase from they).

I ordered a P2K GP7 (or it was GP9, I don't remember) in C&NW livery. They charged my credit card and -they said-, they shipped the loco. Eight weeks later, I still haven't had received the loco, so I e-mailed they (two or three times, because they don't answered the e-mails). They complained that "apparently, the shipment was lost in the Mail System", and they offered to send another locomotive, but in different color paint, because the C&NW was out of stock. I asked for a refund, because the one I wanted was the C&NW. They don't answer to that. A week later, I discovered that, they had not refund the loco and, instead, THEY HAD CHARGED MY CC TWICE!!!!! :mad: :eek: :mad:
    After that, I tried to contact they by e-mail and, as they never answered, I put all the issue in my Bank hands. The Bank worked around VISA and I had refunded the two charges. End of the history.
  6. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

:mad: :mad: :mad: Topo: That's NOT the way to enjoy model railroading!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: Glad to hear the bank backed you up.

Drew, try Trainworld, for ten bucks more, you'll get service. Last time we posted on who's who on-line, the concensus was that trainworld is on the yes list.
  7. Topo

Topo Member

Jon, I don't think that they really intended to twist me. Simply, their customer service was (is?) lousy and, as the things gone wrong (the "lost" first shippment), they messed all up, charging twice instead of refunding, don't answering to e-mails, and so on.

Since then, I have continued to purchase models over the Internet (it's the cheapest way for me to get these nice U.S. models, as in Europe they are usually list price! :D ) without any troubles.

Mainly, I do my purchases in Sunbird Train Mart, Train Toy Heaven, and Discount Trains Online, and I'm happy as a lark with their service (I have found that the international shipping fees of Trainworld are way too expensive to me). :D :rolleyes: :D

When I purchase in Europe, I do it in my "Not-So-Local" Hobby Shop (All American Trains), in Germany!!! :eek: :D
  8. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

Topo, do you usually by thing from the US? I didn't tried yet, but I usually buy stuff from the UK. How much do you pay for shippment, if so? :D
  9. Topo

Topo Member

Hello, Luis.

Well... I have purchased twice some items from the UK. Their shipping fees are lesser that from the U.S. but, usually, the stuff itself was not.

The shipping fees from the U.S. range from $12 to $25, depending the shop, the shipment way and the package size (curiously, in 'my' usual RR-book store -Raritan Bay Hobbies-, such heavy stuff as the books are, only charge me around $9!!! :D :D ).
    I have found that, if you take your time searching, you usually can find low prices enough to over-balance the higher shipping costs. As you can suppose, that works better with large purchases that when purchasing only a couple of boxcars. If you have friends that also model RR, suggest them to do purchases jointly and so, partage the shipping fees.

If you want to try the shops that I have mentioned, ask them always for the estimated shipping fees to Portugal (I think that they will be similar to the ones to Spain), and, if you aren't in a hurry, choose the "surface" way. It takes longer (4/5 weeks, usually not more, sometimes less), but it's way cheaper.
  10. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

Can you mention some link for some shops, so that I can search. I think That can be quite useful. Cause I UK the items I want are hard to find...

(santa fe and UP locos...)
  11. Topo

Topo Member

Glad to help

Discount Trains Online
    Well made Web page, good service. Sometimes they do an "special offer" in some items, with really interesting prices. Secure server. Not the cheapest, but usually low prices.
    You can't pre-order items (maybe in the future? :confused: )

Sunbird Train Mart
    Lower prices than DTO (usually). Service is OK. They can hold items 'forever' :rolleyes:
    Their Web page is 'messy' (to say the less). You really cannot call them 'fast' if replying e-mails is the issue. No secure server, so you will need to fax your order.

Toy Train Heaven
    Here I have found the cheapest prices at all. Good service and fast shipment. Web page is OK.
    They only hold orders when the items they already have in stock are under $50. So, if in you order you have items to be released and items they have in stock, and the later amount over $50, they will split the shipment (and you will pay for two or more shippments). No secure server, so you need to fax the order details (credit card info), but not really a problem.

Raritan Bay Hobbies
    LOTS of RR books!! The cheapest prices in RR books. Shipment is cheap also!! :D :D It's my only bookstore when purchasing RR books.
    The gentleman carriying the shop is sometimes a bit overwhelmed, so don't expect a blazing fast reply to your e-mails. No secure server, so you need to fax the order details (credit card info), but not really a problem.

12. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Topo, IMHO, they should have taken the mistake and made it a positive experiance for you. In no case should you ever have to go to the bank for a refund or to block and illegal charge. Also they should always promptly answer your e-mail. The way they treated you was unacceptable customer service.

I don't know if 1st place ships overseas, but you might use them and/or Walthers for reference (image lookup and price comparison). I never order from walthers here in the US, I have my LHS do it.
  13. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Re: Glad to help

What do ya suppose the pugs role in the company is (the dawgy):D :D :D
  14. Topo

Topo Member

Jon, I'm with you. If your customers are purchasing from 7000kms., better than you don't lose their confidence. Otherwise you will be out of business faster that it takes to say "WRONG!!" :mad:
    At the other side, once Discount Trains Online sent me, by mistake, one single car kit instead of the four-car pack that I have asked for. When I complained about, they apologize propmtly, sending the correct pack without any extra shipping charges and giving me for free the mistaked kit as a way to compensate for the delay. That's GOOD customer service! :eek: :D :D

I have looked in 1stPlace Hobbies twice or so. Their prices are very similar to the ones in TTH (usually one or two bucks over/under in the stuff I'm interested in). I will give them a try soon if their shipping fees are OK. :p