Rivarossi 2-8-0

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I dug this out and photographed it today because I saw someone who might be able to use the tender body.

This comes from the early 60's. It was a Rivarossi 2-8-0. There's a motor in the tender powering the drivers through a split shaft.
I saw that Lionel sold one just like it.

The cast metal parts have self destructed. You can see the two parts of the tender frame; you may also be able to make out the frame for the front truck. I think the stuff is zamak or maybe white metal (is there a distinction?)
Anyway, I though someone might be interested.

Attachments

• RivLoco1447.jpg
    RivLoco1447.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 101
  • RivTender1448.jpg
    RivTender1448.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 102

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
A beaut:thumb: ...one of their old line tender drives. She'll make for a great long term project. Us Rivarossi folks affectionately refer to the tender frames problem as "zinc mites".

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Many of these older locos were composed of, in whole or part, zinc castings, which, I believe, were later superceded by zamak. I have an old English Pacific (soon to be the subject of yet another rebuilding) that had the trailing truck disintegrate due to zincpest. Another victim was the frame on my Tyco/Mantua "Little Six", and my friend, cn nutbar, has a brass CNR Mogul whose driver centres are slowly beginning to crumble. All of these locos can be repaired, although it will involve new parts or fabrications.
I remotored two brass CPR D-10s (Ten-Wheelers) for a friend several years ago. They had always been poor runners, due to the small, open-frame motor crammed into the limited space of the small loco's firebox and cab. I mounted a Mashimi flat can motor in the tender of each loco, lying flat on the tender floor, then connected it, via Hobbytown shafts and sockets, to the centreshaft of the old motor, after first removing the brushes and motor windings. That way, the original worm and gear, in their original alignment, provided the final part of the drive train. The balance of the space in the boilers was filled with lead, resulting in a smooth-running pair of locos that pulled considerably better than the originals.

Wayne