Rivarossi 0-8-0

CN_Pete

Hello all,
I hope someone can help with my latest adventure.
I just picked up a used Rivarossi 0-8-0 in HO, it looks real good but it sounds real noisy. I would like to replace the motor with a new can motor.

My questions are;
What type of motor do I use?
What is involved, is it worth it.

Hope someone had done this before and can offer some assistance.

Peter

:wave: Pete...Contact Northwest Shortline. they make motors for all the old Rivarossi steam engines. I had a Riv 4-6-2 with no motor, I cut the plastic cradle out of it, filled the hole with clear silicon, hooked up the NWSL motor and sit it in the silicon. Now it's one of the smoothest, quietest steam engines that I own.

Dick
Texas Chief

Ray Marinaccio

I would contact NWSL as Dick mentioned and ask their recomendation. Be sure to specify which version you loco is.
The older version with the motor mounted horizontally in the cab had a primary gear reduction box mounted on the motor and were noisy when new. I had one back in the 70s and ran it until it literally fell apart.
You would need to include the gearbox in the motor change or use a gearhead motor with at least a 1.5/1 reduction.
Or you could regear the loco using a NWSL 36/1 gearbox and a NWSL motor. ( would require some machine work to fit the drivers on a new axle)

The newer version has the motor mounted in the boiler vertically and NWLS sells a regear kit for it.