Rivarossi 0-8-0 O scale plans

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by fruitcop, Jun 17, 2004.

1. fruitcop

fruitcop New Member

Very much need help here!!! Just acquired the Rivarossi 0-8-0 kit, but the owner forgot to tell me that there were no plans! The 179 TINY screws are just too much! Willing to play someone for the trouble of a copy or the plans to build same.

Many thanks
    Robert :confused:
  2. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

That would be quite a challenge without the instruction sheets.
    I hope someone can come through for you.
    Can you say jig-saw puzzle?
  3. fruitcop

fruitcop New Member

Hello Ray,
    Not a bad discription. Most, well many of the plastic parts can be best guessed, but the 179 mostly pin sized screws, well.... :confused:
  4. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

Perhaps contact or see it they have a web page to help? Rivarossi
    I e-mailed Tony's Trains to see if he could give me information, you may want to contact Walthers also as they are the big import in the USA for these. I hope this will help you. :thumb: Jim
  5. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

is this the kit of the Indiana Harbor Belt 0-8-0?

I think that I still have this kit somewhere in my basement, and I'll try to dig it out this weekend. At the moment I'm not at home (it's great that you can enter the web from about everywhere :D), but I'll be back until Sunday evening and will tell you if I found the instructions.

As far as I remember it is quite a booklet. I could copy it and send it to you - or perhaps I could scan it... Ok, I'll tellya!

6. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

I found the assembly instruction for the IHB 0-8-0. I built the motorized kit and she runs very well - a beautiful model.

The instructions are printed in a 16 page booklet. If you're still interested, contact me by sending a pm. Then we can discuss how I can send you a copy.

Attached Files:

7. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Is That EVER Cool!

What a spectacular looking locomotive you've built, Ron!! "Doppel Wunderschoen!!" :thumb: :thumb:

Could someone maybe fill me in on this model? Was this a plastic static kit? Are they still available?
  8. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

This was (is?) a Rivarossi kit, also sold under the AHM brand in the USA. Yes, it is a static kit (like their Casey Jones Ten-wheeler, and a German 0-6-0 switcher), but with metal wheels and metal valve gear parts.
    You could also get a motorizing kit for these locomotives. The motor wasn't the strongest I've ever seen, but she marched away with a string of about ten quite heavy Ambroid reefers. :thumb:

Rivarossi built the same engine in N scale (sold as Atlas model) and H0.

The IHB was designed as class U-4 A, built 1927. She had 3 cylinders, and most unusual was also the tender booster steam engine. A beautiful workhorse!

However I don't think that this model is still made! :( :( :(
    BTW: I never understood why Rivarossi didn't develop more of these plastic kits. I'm sure this would have given a big boost to 0 scale modeling!

9. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Great job Ron, modeling, weathering and photography.

Rivarossi didn't choose the most popular engines to produce in O. I too would have liked a kit for a USRA 0-6-0 but it never came to pass. When they came out, the O scale community wasn't ready for this kind of kit. I think it would have done much better a decade after they quit producing it. They are still available on eBay and at O scale meets. I had one of those kits and it never got out of the box. I sold it when I went to modeling in S scale. A friend of mine did assemble his and it was a work of art, but fragile.