Ring ship

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I finally decided to model this idea I've had for a starship. Here's the concept drawing I did:

And here's what I have so far:

Yeah, I know the front end looks bigger, but I have perspective mode in Metasequoia turned on and I think it looks better that way.

As for what purpose the ring serves, use your imagination! :mrgreen:
  2. gippolot

gippolot Member

Great concept drawing Millenium.

That ship looks like it going to be quite a fine model.

3. ohgodwhy

ohgodwhy Member

I would imagine part of the hyperdrive system ? Like in the independence war games ?
  4. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Nice drawing.

The ring could be used to open a "Space Portal" which when entered would transport you to another Ring Ship many light years away.

The question is, "how did the second ring ship get that far away?"

Cheers JTF
  5. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Actually, you have hit on a rather clever idea for simulating gravity in space. You may recall a movie several years ago that posited a mission to Mars where the crew lived in a a continuously rotating cylinder section that simulated Earth gravity.

NASA actually explored the concept but shelved the idea because it was technically unfeasible to make a foolproof rotating seal. But, your concept obviates the need for a special seal or any kind for that matter. The crew compartments could rotate inside the ring section just like the elevator system in the St. Louis arch.
  6. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

very nice design!
  7. Millenniumfalsehood

Thanks Nothing. :D

The ring is actually some sort of technological component to the whole shebang, but I'm just not sure what to call it. But it's sci-fi, so I'm sure someone will come up with a technobabble explanation sooner or later. :wink: Just FYI, those square thingies would pulsate with blue light in a circular pattern rotating towards the front(counter-clockwise if you're looking at the fourth picture down). Maybe it's a portable black hole or wormhole, or perhaps part of the shield system. All I know is, glowing pulsating bits on starships look really cool. sign1

Pulled an all-nighter last night and finished the model. Now I just need to texture the thing:

Yeah, I think spiky bits on the fronts of spaceships is a cool thing. :cool:
  8. D-WHALE

D-WHALE Utopia Planitia Engineer

I like the idea! looks like that you use a imperial Stardestroyer and a Super-Stargate for this mesh:cool:
  9. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

she certaintly is heavily armed!:)
  10. Millenniumfalsehood

She's *my* idea of a space battleship. :cool: Eat your heart out, Yamato! :twisted:

Funny you should mention that. My actual inspiration was this:

11. very nice ship and very intresting inspiration

how about for the ring a troop transport it generates a wormhole and launches smaller ships through incapable of faster than light travel kinda like the giant catapult ships on mass effect and if you want tecnobable hows about this.

The ring begins to spin generating a nutreno field in subspace this then creates an artificial trans dimensional tear then a plasma inversion beam is fired into the tear to stabalies the anomalie and creating slyp stream through the tear for the troop transports to fly through to get were they need to go. the ship could also propel itself in a simmilar way by craeating the tear infront of the ship firing a beam and flying through were as the troop transport accurs in the the gap in the middle of the ring

Now funny thing is i made that up and yet i understand it.

ohh and as for the transport the boat part hanging down could detach and fly through the ring. kinda like captins yatch of star trek
  12. widget

widget Member

The only thing wrong wth that is the only portion of the ring that COULD rotate has a missing portion where it is located above/below the open bay in the aft section.

Unless it's the FIELD that rotates...
    Still the problem with the bay opening being usable.
    Move the bay opening to the side of the ship and make a port/starboard "thru-deck"?

NOT knocking the design,it's both graceful and tough looking.
  13. well it could generat a spherical field and the ships fly straight out of the bay into the slyp stream
  14. Millenniumfalsehood

I was thinking the deflector shields that cover that opening would protect against any radiation emitting from the ring. :thumb:
  15. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

OK now your making it up as you go along.:rolleyes:

Cheers JTF
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

As any good sci-fi fan would do! sign1
  17. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

Well I have to say I'm impressed with the concept design and how you came up with it, very very cool!I think I'll drool over the art work now!
  18. silent_lord

silent_lord New Member

why some form of exotic FTL, why not a simple gravity generator?
  19. Millenniumfalsehood

For me, because it's not directional; the gravity generators on a ship are usually in the floor panels, unless you mean something like the gravity-well generators on an Interdictor Cruiser from Star Wars, which form immense gravity wells which both keep ships from jumping to hyperspace and pull ships from hyperspace by simulating a planet.
  20. Mifune73

Mifune73 Member

Torroidal magnetodynamic jump drive...TMJ drive.