Right place right time

I came in from a long day at work, drove to the local community college, wrote a 2 page letter in my car, made friends in line with a nice guy who's mom was a volunteer and gave me a free ticket, got front row seat, and...

Got to meet possibly the next President of the United States!

I shook his hand, talked with him for a few seconds, had my pic taken, gave my letter to his staff member, and my wife taped the news and it shows clearly a 10 second clip of me & him talking!

How cool is that?

Despite your political views, you gotta admit that was a cool day?

Attachments

• dj&obama.jpg
    dj&obama.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 6
S

Soaring

AWESOME! I do admit it, you are lucky, and that is quite an honor! However, I'm republican and can't vote ^.^

N

nachoman

I agree. Despite political views, it still feels great to be around someone that is going to be remembered in history. So later, you can tell your kids or grandkids and show them the photo :) My mom had a picture of Pete Rose she took of him on photo day when he was just a rookie. Despite what a crook he turned out to be, he was also a heck of a ball player. My mom gave the photo to my cousin years ago - and I wonder if he still has it.

Kevin

beamish

HO & Steam Engineer
Political people

At the museum I help out at, I have had the opportunity to meet many of the politicians in Manitoba, and Canada. I was able to meet many people that represented all of the different parties, and levels of government. It was always neat to talk about our steam engine and educate these leaders and future leaders on how a steam engine works. It didn't matter to me which party they belonged to or which party I supported at that time. It was more about educating someone who may or may not have leadership powers in the country I live in (government support of a nonprofit museum = $$ and support). And about educating them as a visitor to our museum.

To be honest one of the nicest party leaders I met was from a party that I didn't really like and he had almost zero support in the province. On a whim I asked him to come down and stook sheaves in front of the crowd. He came down from the VIP box, took off his suit jacket rolled up his sleeves and got to work. This was a 40*C day with the sun shining and he came down and helped a complete stranger just because I asked. This man has remembered my family for many years since and we still get personal Christmas cards from him.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Wow, you got close! It has been a very historic Presidential campaign with an Afro American, a woman, and a Vietnam veteran becoming the main contenders. It was full of other interesting folks on both sides before the field narrowed too.

Members, once again I'll comment that while we all share an interest in trains we must remember that we are a very diverse group when it comes to political, social, and religious issues. We cannot expect to agree on those complicated issues but we will be respectful of others in talking about them.

Please also be clear that The Gauge does not endorse political candidates. If any members happen to get close enough to Hillary Clinton or John Mc Cain feel free to let us know about your lucky shot. Things like this don't happen every day.

Regards,
Ralph