Richard's Fokker E-III and Morane Saulnier

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Amazyah, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

This will be a new adventure for me as I have only built a couple of Fiddler's Green's aircraft.
    This is my first attempt of both an aircraft with formers and one from this fantastic era of aviation history.
    Because I am traversing new territory, I feel I must jump in with both feet, so to speak, so...
    I have decided to not only tackle Richard's wonderful repaint of an English Fokker E-III and Morane Saulnier but that I will throw in the Turkish version of the Fokker E-III as well. I really like the coloring of this one and have had my eye on it for quite a while now.
    This is also my first build thread so if I'm going to jump in with both feet I might as well do it running and with a little flair, eh?
    Another first here, is using image shack, I sure hope I do this right and the images show up.
    Three builds, one thread, and image shack, new territory all! Let us hope I do not crash and burn!

And here we go!

First step was a little experimenting with laminating different thicknaess' of card stock to obtain the right thickness' for the formers.
    I made a little area for spraying adhesive and spread some news papers to catch the overspray.

After experimenting for a while I found some paper combinations that I think will work. I used Duro All Purpose Spay adhesive and a set of calipers to get to this point. Here are the five sheets I ended up with.

Next, I printed all three aircrafts...

The Captured Fokker with English markings.

The Marane Saulnier.

Finally, the Turkish version of the Fokker E-III.

I also hung the plans for the Fokker on each side of my monitor so they are always handy and not taking up valuable work space.
    Support for the plans is provided by bamboo skewers taped together and then to the monitor.

I will continue in the next post.
    I just wanted to throw this post up to make sure the images are showing and that I did it correctly.

2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Wow, it worked!

I am so pleased! Yee- Haww!

I shall continue with writing the next post till I get caught up to where I stand now.

I hope the build goes as smoothly as this first post did!

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Excellent choice :) was considering that one for my next as well. Looking forward to more pics! Might want to lower the image resolution to more like 800x600ish though so it fits on most peoples screens :)

Did you drill holes in your monitor for the skewers? :p
  4. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

It's always inspiring to see this kind of threads.
    And the work bench photos, for me, are also VERY inspiring - to think I'm not the only one with that kind of beautiful mess-.
    Great Russ!!! Keep them coming.
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thats a mess? Wish my messes looked like that! After two hours working on a model the entire dining room table and floor was covered with paper bits - of course my 3 and 6 year old always like to "help" with their own scissors and my paper scraps heh heh Seeing other peoples workspaces is very helpful though! Maybe we should have a workspace tips and pics thread.
  6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Sorry about the huge images. I will try to remember to check and reduce the image size if necessary.

I cut out the parts for all three aircraft and laminated the two Fokker's parts to .7mm card.

In order to stay organized and minimize confusion I have used three AOL disc boxes for my parts and labeled them accordingly.

Thanks AOL! I hate AOL and don't use it but I love the free little boxes!

In order to be fair, I have to share my boo-boo's also...

I got carried away cutting parts and snipped right through the one above. Instead of printing another sheet to get one part, I used a pencil and ruler to extend the left end to the correct dimension. Problem solved.

I will now start building the Fokker's by starting with 2 of Richard's fantastic design of the Oberursel U.I. Plans are hung and parts are printed.

That is where I stand at the moment.
    More to come later after a little progress.

7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thanks for the comments guys!

The comments keep me inspired as well!

8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

HOLY COW! A use for AOL :D I should quit posting for a while so I at least look like I have a life. Have fun building!
  9. Texman

Texman Guest

Thanks Russell, a tri-build thread to watch. Should be fun. But I must
    ask, why are they so big? :) Mine don't ever seem to print that large!

10. josve

josve Active Member

Hi there Russell!
    I'm looking forward to see more of the Fokkers.
    I can see you are a much organized man, so I bet theese are going to be great builds!!
  11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thanks for the comments again guys!

GB Multiple pics in a post was a confusing issue for me as well.
    I could never do it while using the forums upload process.
    Using it just gives links when posting multiple pics.
    I used Image Shack. It is free and you can also get a free image re-sizer from them.
    Once you upload your pics to image shack, they assign code to each pic.
    You copy and paste the code into your post. As many as you want and they all show up!
    After this post I am going to start using smaller pics. I realize some people are on dial up so I have to take it easy on them. :wink:

I haven't progressed too far today.
    I had to do some grocery shopping, pay bills, wash dishes, etc., etc.

A study in size relativity.

First the Engine next to a clothes pin.

Now for a different perspective. The first clothes pin was a mini.
    Here is a pic taken with a standard clothes pin.

And a final pic in the study. (Just having a little fun with the size issue!) :grin:

OK, back to work. I started to free the engine parts from their two dimensional prison...

After searching for a little while, I found a nail that was close to the diameter I needed.

Roll, roll, roll your part....

Gently round the nail...

Another shot for perspective.

Can you tell I'm having fun with this?

Keep repeating the above 8 more times and the tops of the cylinders too...

Well, that's where I stand at the moment. I am nowhere near as fast as GB.
    As a matter of fact, I am debating starting over.
    I started edge treatment using a watercolor pencil which seemed to clump up on the edge and the clumps fall off leaving bare spots.
    In general I think the center hub looks like crap.
    I then did all the cylinder edge treatment with a black marker.
    If you count them, I made ten cylinders and there are only nine on the engine.
    The one all the way to the left was made out of curiosity.
    I edge treated that one with a silver metallic sharpie.
    I think it looks the best out of all of them and that's what makes me want to start over.
    On second thought, I think I'll finish this one with the black marker and do the next engine with the metallic sharpie.
    Then we can have two engines to compare.
    OK, back to work.

12. Ken Horne

Ken Horne Member

I've printed out at least four of these, and am very much looking forward to your build. I suspect you are not happy 'cause you have been spending too much time looking at those close up photos. I really like my models until I photograph them. Then the warts just jump out =:)

Keep it up big guy,

13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I know what you mean Ken.
    It looks pretty good to the eye but the camera seems to magnify the "warts".
    I may have to back up the camera a couple feet! :grin:

14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking awsome so far - defintely gonna be a sweet build when its done :D
  15. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Why are some of the most talented so critical of their work???
    Maybe that is why they are so talented.

P.S. use PSP to the file, choose image/resize. (in case you had not discovered this yet)
  16. Alcides

Alcides Member

This looks awesome

I think the photos are great. They show you are doing a great job. You are working with very small parts.

Go ahead !!!

17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Man, you guys are the greatest! You all sure know how to keep a guys confidence up! Thank you all for the words of encouragement!

But...just to prove my point, below is a pic of both engines together.
    They are both incomplete but enough has been done that you can see a big difference.

The silver metallic sharpie is definitely the way to go on this engine.
    The water pencil is clumpy, the black marker bleeds, and the silver metallic is just right! I'm sure I do not have to point out which is which eh? :)

Thanks for the help Phil and your vote of confidence!
    Actually I am using Image Shack's re-sizer.
    Once it is installed, all you do is right click your picture and "resize" is in the drop down menu.
    It also gives you 4 sizes to chose from.
    Talk about a big picture, before I resized these pics they were 2304 x 1728 and that last pic was 1.36 Mb before resizing.
    I set my camera to the biggest pic possible for the best detail.

I am very anxious to get busy on the planes themselves but I wanted to get the engines out of the way first.
    I have to give a big round of applause to Richard for his Engine design!
    It is a model in itself and the fit of the parts is excellent!

I really want to build his Clerget 7Z as a stand alone model, it's a real beauty!

18. Richard

Richard Member

both your engines look great.
    Personally I favour the black marker because it gives the engine a bit of a used look.
    And once installed in the airplane you won't see the 'warts' anymore.

19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thanks Richard, that means a lot to me, coming from the designer!

I have a couple of questions for you as you stated in the Fokker thread that you have already started your build of the Marane Saulnier.

Any advice as to the thickness of the formers?
    I have not laminated the Morane yet as I was waiting for you to show up, so I could ask.
    Also, was the engine in the Morane a LeRhone?
    I was wondering if your engine design might be suited for this model.
    I googled it but I come up with several different answers.
    I myself know very little about aircraft in general so I was hoping you or Bengt could give me a hand with this.

20. Richard

Richard Member

you can use 1mm card for laminating most of the parts but I would use thinner card for the smaller fuselage formers and parts 7 and 31.
    The engine is indeed a Le Rhone but I'm going to use the one that comes with the model because you won't see that much of it.
    Last year I already started to build one of the Moranes but never finished it. Only the front part is left and all the other paperwork vanished somehow. Today I tried to fit my own designed Le Rhone into this front part but the fit was too tight.
    So if you decide to use my Le Rhone you will have to print it at about 97%. And be prepared to make some minor alterations to it.