RI hopper sighting!

IMRL393

Last night I saw a string of cars on the Bettendorf to Davenport track - in the group were TWO Rock Island covered hoppers in blue scheme and marked for the IMRL !!!

:cool:

Alas, I didn't have a camera, so no photos of a TWO "fallen flag" hopper!

I DID go home and got a cameria, but the cars had been moved away before I got back.

:(

If it wasn't for the Iowa heat (and cold, in season), I would keep a disposable cameria in the car for times like these!

- George

rockislandmike

Kewl. I took a camera out west on the long weekend too, just in case. Actually, there's a place halfway called the "Spiral Tunnels" where the CP Rail curves overtop of itself to get up high enough for one of the mountain passes. Didn't have time to stop, though.

Did see a number of trains, including one that passed us while we were waiting for an accident to clear on the Trans-Canada. Alas, the camera had been packed in the trunk, or I could've gotten a really good closeup of against mountains in the background.

Hoghead

RI hoppers

Actually they are quite common.......in my travels on the rails I usually see a few every month. Mostly initialed for private companies. Other common fallen flag cars seen are Penn Central covered hoppers, B&O, C&O and Chessie gondola's, occasional EL open top hoppers and on very rare occasions a Conrail boxcar or two with Pennsy Keystones showing through the paint.