Rhino "virtual build"

Discussion in 'Software' started by Matthias, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Matthias

Matthias New Member

Playing around with Rhino to see what it is capable of. Rather than start with a 3D model and unfold, I tried bringing in a scan of a printed page and working up from that.

The scan is a section of JSC's HMS Lance, rearranged so that only the pieces relevant to the piece I'm working on are included. I inserted the bitmap as per wunwinglow's tutorial, then created a matching surface and UV-mapped the texture to that as well. Now if you trace the fold/cut lines using curves/polylines, and project those curves onto the surface, you can proceed to "cut out" the individual pieces just like in card...

Once the part is removed from the main sheet (textures preserved), all that remains is to fold it up (as per the unfolding tutorial, but backwards), position it in three dimensions and render the model.

A lot of time sitting in front of a computer for something you can't pick up... Nice sharp folds though :smile:

2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Do you have penguin and flamingo to render that like it is?
  3. Matthias

Matthias New Member

No, just the trial, using the built in render engine with the textures applied (it's the texturing that makes the difference I think, just shaded looks pretty horrible).

4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Matthias, that is terrific! Just goes to show what a flexible tool Rhino can be, with the application of a little thought, and maybe some lateral thinking.

I am intrigued how you got the front/top face of the gun turret to curve accurately. I can see how to construct it and unwrap it, but going the other way must have been tricky!

Great to see someone having fun with this program!

Tim P
  5. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I noticed that to(the top of the gun turret)and was wondering how you managed it.
  6. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

nice pic

i like the ida :)

but i left rhino for now i have no progres coz i dont know how to do thing

so no more c47 for now :(
  7. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Yaniv! NO! Don't give up!!!!!

Did you do the tutorials, Introduction, Flashlight and Rubber Duck?

Have another go, and start on something simple. I remember it took me quite a while to understand the important stuff, but it was worth the effort!

Tim P
  8. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i dont know what to do after the place of the bitmap in ther places

9. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

Matthias, Sir, from me it's only WHEW and WOW!!!

10. hpept

hpept Member

matthias, this is a wonderful idea to avoid arguing with the wife... no paper debrees around the whole room and no glue stains over the living room table. For a peaceful coexhistance....:grin:
  11. Matthias

Matthias New Member

:smile: hpept, you've obviously seen my workspace! Paper models were supposed to get me out from under my computer though... I spend too much time there already.

I'm glad everyone likes the idea. I'm quite pleased with the aesthetics of "cutting" out the pieces rather than modeling each one from scratch - nice mirror of our hobby. I don't think I'm going to continue with this though as I'm switching over to design mode. Sorry to dissapoint those looking for updates!

The turret is modeled faceted, so the curve is just bent in along the polygon edges like you would do for corners. In this case, I've used six fold lines layed out in the flat view. Rhino lets you project curves/lines onto 3d surfaces as well, so you can do split panels and do more complicated folding after you've started to roll up the piece. I think in order to roll the curve smoothly, the shape would need to be Nurb rather than polygon, and the surface trim technique (and preserved texture mapping) wouldn't work - you'd have to model each flat cutout seperately.