Rhino to Corel Draw: which format to use?

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Alcides, May 15, 2007.

1. Alcides

Alcides Member

I'm trying to export my work in Rhino to Corel Draw.

Which format is better? I 've tried .dwg, .dxf.

To me this seems to be the same but maybe someone has some tip or advice.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I use adobe illustrator .ai The other formats work and I can't tell you if ones better than another but Wunwinglow instructed me on such matters so maybe he can explain the differences.
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

AI files are 'flat', so make sure you are in the view looking straight down on the image you want to export; unless you want a perspetcive view! dwg files are also flat, but I have had better results with ai files. dxf files can be flat, but they can contain 3D data as well, so I would avoid this format for what you need.

Try to make sure there is only one curve for every part of the drawing you are exporting. If there are multiples, Coreldraw will get its knickers in a twist when you come to join things up to fill them; there will be too many nodes all stacked on top of each other. Be prepared to reset line thickness' and colour as well, this can get garbled sometimes. Also for some reason, some circles seem to get a bit squared off, particularly small ones, but they are easy to replace with the standard corel elipse tool.

Just try it. It does work!

4. Alcides

Alcides Member

Yes. I'm using the top view.

Thank you for the tips. I just trying to export some "unrrolled" surfaces :twisted:

One question: Any way to the unrollsrf command don't put the surface in the center of the plane?

5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

6. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I remember using a "Themes" command (or, what was it called? I'll check the help file) that colours different sides of a surface with different colours in shaded mode. That was all too handy.