Rhino Pepakura test tutorial

Discussion in 'Software' started by wunwinglow, Apr 12, 2004.

1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

OK, in Rhino, make a box

Select it and export it in a suitable file format. I chose .dxf for this exercise.
    I set the number of polygons to the minimum possible, ie 12 triangles for a simple rectangular box like this.
    Save the .dxf file somewhere safe....
    and then import it into Pepakura. You can spin the model around in the left window, then hit the 'Create Development' button.
    Cool, eh?

Next week, we tackle welding....

2. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Tim

YES, cool...cant wait to see next tutorial, u make a good job. maybe i will post some too.
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi NOBI,

thanks, this was a trial to check I understood the method of getting images into a post, but I will certainly do a few more if they are useful. Any comments on what to cover? Comments on the image sizes, both in terms of screen view on your own PC/Mac, and download times? I don't want to clog the system up!

PS Happy Easter to those who celebrate it! :D Happy Springtime for everyone else! :D
  4. barry

barry Active Member

It looks brilliant please please go on doing it !! At some point can you show how to get a jpg into pepaura as a background it still totally defeats me.

5. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

I'll have my heavy leather gloves and dark goggles ready :roll:
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

7. Deathping

Deathping New Member

Just found this site, glad to see people supporting the paper arts.

Ive come across strange scenarios where the model in pepakura either shows up as an extremely garbled mess, doesnt look anything like the original, or sometimes it will look correct, but every edge is marked for cutting and you cant edit any of the edges at all. Creating a development from this results in a mess of individual faces, nothing connected at all.

Heres a method that might help the frustrated user. If you want to design a multipiece model for 2d layout in Rhino, do the following *BEFORE* exporting to pepakura:

1) Make sure all surfaces do NOT intersect. Meaning that, if 2 pieces are to be glued together, then none of the surfaces should cut into each other. To fix this, either move pieces so they dont cross, or use the split function between surfaces and delete the excess pieces.

2) Convert the entire model into a polygon mesh, with Tools -> Polygon Mesh - From Nurbs Object menu. Click the hide toolbar button to hide the nurbs model so all you see is the polygon mesh. Hide any left over curves or lines as well, you dont need to export these.

Tip: If you need to keep curves and lines around as modelling aids, put them in a seperate layer. this makes it easy to hide them later on.

3) Select all polygon meshes from step 2 type 'join' and press enter. This will group all the polygon meshes into one polygon mesh.

4) Export the joined mesh object into dxf format.

When you load the model into pepakura, you should see all your shapes, with cut lines already placed where parts meet. Edit the cut lines to taste and create your development.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Deathping,

Welcome to the forum, we are all glad to have ya here! Now that you have fallen into our little trap, you will find yourself compelled to check back here everyday to see whats new lol.
    While you are here, look around, click on ppl's names and look at their albums, or look up top and click on parts bin and help yourself to a few of the free models we have here.
    Hope to see alot more of ya in the future and maybe some pics of your work.
    Again, welcome!

Have a good evening,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA(GW)
  9. Deathping

Deathping New Member

is this site dedicated to aircraft? from the banner and some tutorials looks like it is. Do you guys deal with scifi or scratch builds?
  10. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Of course we do!

If you build it, ..... we will want pictures! no matter what it is.
  11. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Deathping, welcome to this site, hope to see more of you!

Aircraft only? Oh no! Click on the 'Forum' link at the top of each page to see the full list of forums, and then have a root around some of them. We are fantastically lucky to have a terrific bunch of forum members, so there is always something interesting going on. There are lots of sci fi modellers here, and plenty of designers, and would-be designers thirsty for knowledge. I am sure you will find the site an excellent place to hang out!

What are you interested in modelwise?

I just tried the link to my second tutorial which started to cover the subject of welding etc, but it seems to have gone. We did have a hacker incident a while ago, so maybe it went then. I'll rebuild it.

Thanks for the pointers, always appreciated.
  12. Deathping

Deathping New Member

Question for you rhino/pepakura modelers:

Lets say im developing a complex model with some parts that overlap each other, or parts that will go right on to larger ones (like details, armor plating, etc). Is there a way to 'mark' these areas so that in pepakura, I see the outline where the detail needs to go on the larger piece?

I attached an image from my rhino session. See the 3 little toes on the front of the piece? How would I mark the larger piece so in pepakura, when the layout is unfolded, I get the marks where the toes should go?
  13. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

hmm, I don't use Pepakura so I'm not sure how to get it to show the lines. I leave everything in rhino and unfold it myself there. If you do that then keeping those lines is as simple as duplicating the border and unfolding it with the piece the toes attach too.

BTW, is that Rhino 3.0? I'm still stuck in version 1 since I can't afford to upgrade atm.
  14. Deathping

Deathping New Member

Yes. Thats rhino 3.0 sr3c. The panes are all hardware accelerated opengl..very smooth for large models.

So how do you unfold in rhino? the unrollsrf command never works for me.
  15. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Deathping, have a look at my part-tutorial at http://cardmodels.net/phpbb2/kb.php?mode=article&k=16 his might explain a bit about unrolling.

Remember, 'UnrollSrf' does exactly what it says; it 'unrolls' a Surface. In otherwords, it flattens out a surface that is curved. There are limitations, the surface can only be curved in one direction, ie the side of a cone or cylinder, not a sphere, being the main one. It only works on one surface at a time, and you have to be careful which way up the unrolled surface ends up. See the tutorial for an explanation of what is happenening.

If you have a 'box' structure, it won't work, all the surfaces are flat already. If you want to 'unfold' them, you have to do that manually, by exploding the polysurface, then rotating each face about its edge with its neighbour until you have literally unfolded it. This is where programs like Pepakura work very well, but you have to use your model box structure to make a mesh, export the mesh as a dxf, obj or similar, and use Pepakura to unfold that.

As far as I am aware there isn't a plug-in or script for Rhino that does the equivalent job. I'll suggest it on the Rhino3d.com site for possible inclusion in Rhino 4. I'd certainly use it!

Rhino 3 users, note there is a service pack just available taking it to Rhino ver 3 SR4. I only just upgraded mine so haven't gone through all the new stuff yet!

There is another command, 'FlattenSrf' which I am looking at now, it is a new one on me! I think it is a new version of an old test one called 'RoadKill'......

rkelterer did this neat tute on Pepakura too, http://cardmodels.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1278.

Back with some more stuff soon,

Tim P
  16. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Oh, and this one http://www.tjpgraphics.com/html/paper_models1.htm I did a long time back, so it is in Rhino 2, but the method is identical in Rhino 3. The other stuff on that site on scripting is a bit more out of date though. I can go over scripting some time if anyone think it will be useful.

Back soon,

Tim P
  17. Deathping

Deathping New Member

something that kills me about pepakura is its "stubborness" with cut lines.
    For example, that model you saw in my screenshot is done. I can export is as one large mesh and it sorta works. Problem is its treated as one large mesh in pepakura, meaning there are hidden surfaces I cant get to.

Now if I save as 3ds (or lightwave, wavefront..ive tried many other formats)
    pepakura lists the individual objects in the project, but *every single edge* is marked for cut, with no means of turning off the cutting edges....pepakura wont let me specify edges not to cut, and the development turns into a giant mess of individual faces. Cant join surfaces either in the development, its as if every polygon is treated as a seperate object.

I have to be able to hide certain parts while editing the cut lines, but pepakura is proving to be really worthless to me if i cant edit more than 1 mesh at a time. Certainly pepakura can do multi-mesh models?