Revolutionary Lotus?

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by Atomsk, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

Does anyone know of paper kits of early Lotus open wheel race cars?

I'm particularly interested in the Lotus-Ford 38 Indy cars, that finally put paid to the Offenhauser powered "dinosaur" roadsters that had ruled US racing since just after WWII.

Stll, I'd be interested in cars like the Lotus-Climax 25 and 33, or Lotus-Cosworth 49 F1 cars, or the early Lotus-Ford 29, or 34 Indy models.

2. rowiac

rowiac Member

You are probably looking for kits that are more complex than these, so I assume you've already seen the Lotuses at

They have Lotus-Climaxes 21, 25 and 33. The wheels are two-dimensional, but that could be fixed easily enough.

3. FlintknapperGene

FlintknapperGene New Member

Well, I just had a great time looking at this link! A bit reminiscent of Lego, y'think? The scale is appealing in a way, and I imagine with a little poking around the Architecture categories you could re-create the 1963 Monte Carlo Grand Prix.
    By the way, we needn't discuss the appropriateness of "dinosaur" here, but after the Watsons had their day (and a good one, both at the time and in hindsight) the Drake-Offenhauser turbo mill came back to run with the V's for quite a good time. Evolution in technology may be more ladder than bush, but it sprouts a branch now and then too.
  4. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

Ratfink... I mean Roger:

Yeah those are way more "cartooney" than what I'm looking for. The only things on that site that look "scale" are the mini-coopers, and they're cartooney to begin with.

I never meant to PoohPooh the Watson Roadsters, or the Offenhauser powerplant, It's just that the coming of the V8 powered rear engine cars represented the largest technological leap forward that US racing has ever seen. Lotus and Ford were at the forefront of that revolution, tough they weren't there alone for long.
  5. FlintknapperGene

FlintknapperGene New Member

No PoohPoohing taken; I love the 60's racers, before they got adverts all over them, and yes those were the days.--F'G
  6. Darwin

Darwin Member

Thanks for the grandkids are going to have a ball with these. What an era the 60s was for sports car racing. Ford GTs, Cheetahs, Shelby Cobras.....what great subjects for paper models. I wasn't so keen on the F-1 design taking over Indy, though. And don't anyone think about dissing dad did Offenhauser's taxes for a while back then, and I got to tag along to the garage while he was working. A gearhead's heaven!!!