revirse loop

emt49

Jan 5, 2005
binghamton
if i insulate the hole loop and and give it its own power do i still need the dpdt switch.
bye the hole loop i mean insulate both tracks on the turn out the and give the loop its own power so the swich will have a diffrent power sourse than the loop.

i am using mark 3 atlis switches insulfrog

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Giving the reverse loop its own power is the worst way to do it.
You need 2 dpdt switches. One sets the direction for the reverse loop and the other sets the direction for the rest of the layout. You run the train into the reverse loop and then change the direction of the main line and the turnout for the reverse loop.
If you have 2 loops, you can use the same reverse switch for both loops.
Note that neither of the reverse switches is the one on the power pack.
Atlas makes electrical components that have these switches in them.
Insulate the reverse loop so that the turnout (track switch) is NOT part of it.
Using different power sources can give problems when you cross between blocks.

emt49

Jan 5, 2005
binghamton
60103 said:
Giving the reverse loop its own power is the worst way to do it.
You need 2 dpdt switches. One sets the direction for the reverse loop and the other sets the direction for the rest of the layout. You run the train into the reverse loop and then change the direction of the main line and the turnout for the reverse loop.
If you have 2 loops, you can use the same reverse switch for both loops.
Note that neither of the reverse switches is the one on the power pack.
Atlas makes electrical components that have these switches in them.
Insulate the reverse loop so that the turnout (track switch) is NOT part of it.
Using different power sources can give problems when you cross between blocks.

ok thanks for the quick answer i think i am just going to not use a revrise loop:thumb:

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
Since the original question appeared in the DCC forum, I'm wondering why the talk about DPDTs etc. The general method for wiring a reverse loop is using an autoreverser. They are a little more expensive than using switches but simplify both the wiring and operation so much. I even have mine throwing the entry/exit turnout automatically.

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
I would second what Jerry has said about auto reversers. Stay away from DPDT switches. You can get the Digitrax autoreverser for around $50 Cdn. And you don't have to worry about throwing switches. It's done automatically.

If you want to spend some money, you could get another booster, configure it to be a reverser. A bit more expensive but equally effective.

Bob M.

emt49

Jan 5, 2005
binghamton
sorry guys for the confuson i thought i read a thred about useing a dpdt switch on a revrise loop so i thought i would ask put one poped up on ,y new layout track plan

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
You can use a dpdt switch as a reverser in DCC. However, I wouldn,t recommend it as you would have to continually flip the switch to reverse the polarity. And if you did forget to flip the switch, you would cause a short and shut down your command station until you had backed your loco off of the insulated gap. Now, if your gap happens to be in the middle of a tunnel, a hidden staging area, or at the back of your layout..........

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
You can use the DPDT contacts on a switch machine to change the reverse loop polarity. That will get done automatically when you change the switch. You will need one where the contacts switch instantly, not a slo-mo motor.