Reverted loop

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
In Rockport Massachusetss the stub ended station used to have a reverted loop to turn trains heading back to Boston.
Has anyone tryed to model this ?

Paul

Rockport.jpg

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Paul,

I had a reverted loop on my N scale layout. It was connected to a stub ended layover and staging yard. It worked just great. On this web page you can see it (plus some added explanations).

Below I'm adding a pic of the control panel which shows the schematic layout of the tracks. The top line with an additional siding was the track leading up to the visible part of the layout, while the line at the bottom was used as the staging track to set up the trains.

In short: The idea which was developped by John Armstrong worked out fine on my layout. I hope this helps you.

Ron

Attachments

• schaltpultschattenbahnhof.jpg
    schaltpultschattenbahnhof.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 115

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Thanks for your compliments, Paul.

Here's another pic of the throat of this loop. At left is the track going up to the visble part of the layout, at right is the long staging track.

I used ATLAS turnouts. As you see, to save space I put in a 3-way-turnout in the center, the other ones are #6. To avoid derailments I choose them instead of #4 turnouts.

This way I never had problems backing up trains through the yard throat - even long passenger trains never derailed! :)

Glad if I could help you. Now I'm curious if you try this sort of loop, too? :D

Ron

Attachments

• schattenbahnhof.jpg
    schattenbahnhof.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 87

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Thanks again Ron.
Living in an appartment I try to plan a layout that can be dismantelled to move to a (maybe later) permanent room.
In the booklet "Classic Railroads You Can Model" the "B&M's Gloucester Branch" modelled the reverted loop like the prototype shown in my first message.
I was impressed by the appearance and that's why I asked the question here.

Paul