"Reverse Weathering" anyone ?

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Biased turkey, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

I had a copy of N-Scale magazine in front of me. There is a very interesting weathering article written by Peter Du Chene.
    He weathers the rolling stock using acrylic and oil paints, washes and pastels then unweathers by removing all those " ingredients " using a cotton tipped dipped in isopropyl alcohol.
    One obvious advantage is a precise control on the weathering process. Another one is that it cannot be overdone.

Does anyone on this forum uses that technique ? If yes, could you please post a few pictures ?

2. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Jacques, I did this SD45 that way:thumb: , though i wouldn't recommend doing cars or engines that you want "lightly" weathered using that process.

EDIT: this is in HO scale
  3. Biased turkey

Deano, thanks for taking some of your valuable time to reply.
    Your SD-45 looks great because the weathering is not overdone.
    So the way I understand it, you would recommend the reverse weathering technique for heavy or medium weathering, but not for subtle weathering.
    Is it correct ?

Last week while railfanning along the Canadian National line down the road I spotted 2 UP boxcars. It is ( to me ) a very rare sight here in Montreal.
  4. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Jacques, i did the "REVERSE WEATHERING" on my SD45 by accident, i used Polly Scale paints, and on this job, i really over did it:oops: . since i used Polly Scale paint, i knew rubbing alcohol would remove the excess. i took the railings off, and wet a paper towel down with rubbing alcohol, then started taking off the excess, as i got closer to the look i wanted i switched over to a Q-tip to finish it off:winki: .

The whole time i was removing the excess rust/grime i put on, i was very careful to do it using DOWNWARD STROKES ONLY, NEVER, NEVER, EVER, WIPE SIDE TO SIDE.

taking off excess weathering with Rubbing Alcohol(isopropyl) is VERY RISKY, you can easily damage decals, paint etc., USE CAUTION when doing weathering this way. the risk IS there, but if all goes well, the end results are quite good:thumb: .

Isopropyl Alcohol comes in two strengths, that i know of, 70% and 90%, i ONLY USE 70%, and even that will take some paint off, and if rubbed to much, the lettering too:eeki: . some of you might prefer the stronger 90%, but i am not willing to take that big a gamble on what "could" go wrong using that.

you probably could do "light" weathering using this method, but to me, there are better ways to lightly weather a car, then to use the reverse method...just MY thoughts:winki: .

**On a very different note, i hope you got pics of the UP box cars up in your neck of the woods:thumb: .
  5. Biased turkey

Thanks Deano for giving more info about your technique discovered by accident :)

About isopropyl alcohol: only the 70% strenght is available here.

You asked for the picture, here it is:
    The picture was taken 2 months ago

6. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Jacques, WOW!:eeki: AWESOME PIC of that SP/UP box:thumb: , THANKS for posting it.