Reverb or echo unit

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Ralph, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. Ralph

    Ralph's for fun!

    Hi all,

    I've built a facsimile control stand based on a real F unit's control stand that houses one of my power packs so I can feel like I'm running trains with the real thing. For fun I've rigged up a pull cord to activate a continuous loop tape of a diesel horn. I've had it for a couple of years and its not bad but it would sound better with a little reverb or echo to it. Anyone know of an inexpensive unit that I could connect between tape player and speakers? I've done a search on Radio shack's site and then searched broader but everything I find is about guitar amps and seems rather expensive. Any ideas?

  2. jim currie

    jim currie Active Member

  3. jetrock

    jetrock Member

    You might try a Danelectro reverb guitar effects pedal--you can get them at any good music store. I recommend the "Corned Beef" reverb or the "BLT" slap echo. They cost around $30, all you'll need are a pair of 1/4" mono plugs (you can get them at any radio shack, or the same music store) wired in between the tape player and the amplifier. If your tape deck uses RCA jacks, you can get 1/4"/RCA adapters at Radio Shack or the record store too.
  4. Ralph

    Ralph's for fun!

    Thanks for the ideas guys.

    Jetrock, I visited my local guitar store this afternoon and found a Danelectro "FAB echo" on clearance for $15. It fits the bill perfectly! The diesel horn sound used to terminate too abruptly when I relased the cord but now there's a lingering echo that sounds just right. I really appreciate your suggestion.


Share This Page